Febrol Solution elixir
Generic Name: acetaminophen (a-seet-a-MIN-oh-fen)
Brand Name: Examples include Children's Silapap and Febrol Solution
Febrol Solution elixir is used for:
Treating minor aches and pains due to headache, muscle aches, backache, arthritis, the common cold, flu, toothache, menstrual cramps, and immunizations, and for temporarily reducing fever.
Febrol Solution elixir is an analgesic and antipyretic (lowers fever). It works by lowering a chemical in the brain that stimulates pain nerves and the heat-regulating center in the brain.
Do NOT use Febrol Solution elixir if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Febrol Solution elixir
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Febrol Solution elixir:
Some medical conditions may interact with Febrol Solution elixir. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of alcohol abuse or you drink more than 3 alcohol-containing drinks every day
- if you have liver or kidney problems, hepatitis, or phenylketonuria (PKU)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Febrol Solution elixir. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of their side effects, including bleeding, may be increased by Febrol Solution elixir
- Isoniazid because the risk of liver problems may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Febrol Solution elixir may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Febrol Solution elixir:
Use Febrol Solution elixir as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Febrol Solution elixir by mouth with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Replace original bottle cap to maintain child resistance.
- If you miss a dose of Febrol Solution elixir and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Febrol Solution elixir.
Important safety information:
- Febrol Solution elixir has acetaminophen in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has acetaminophen in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Febrol Solution elixir may harm your liver. Your risk may be greater if you drink alcohol while you are using Febrol Solution elixir. Talk to your doctor before you take Febrol Solution elixir or other fever reducers if you drink more than 3 drinks with alcohol per day.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- Severe or persistent sore throat or sore throat accompanied by high fever, headache, nausea, and vomiting may be serious. Consult a doctor promptly. Do not use for more than 2 days or give to children younger than 3 years old unless directed by a doctor.
- Febrol Solution elixir may cause the results of some in-home test kits for blood cholesterol to be wrong. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking Febrol Solution elixir and need to check your blood cholesterol at home.
- For pain and fever in ADULTS: Stop use of Febrol Solution elixir and ask your doctor if pain gets worse or lasts more than 10 days, fever gets worse or lasts more than 3 days, or new symptoms occur or redness or swelling is present.
- For pain and fever in CHILDREN: Stop use and ask a doctor if fever gets worse or lasts more than 3 days, pain gets worse or lasts more than 5 days, or redness or swelling is present or any new symptoms appear.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Febrol Solution elixir while you are pregnant. Febrol Solution elixir is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Febrol Solution elixir, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Febrol Solution elixir:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dark urine or pale stools; unusual fatigue; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include dark urine; excessive sweating; extreme fatigue; nausea and vomiting; stomach pain.Proper storage of Febrol Solution elixir:
Store Febrol Solution elixir at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Febrol Solution elixir out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Febrol Solution elixir, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Febrol Solution elixir is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Febrol Solution elixir or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Febrol Solution elixir. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Febrol Solution elixir. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Febrol Solution elixir.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Febrol Solution (acetaminophen)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous analgesics