Generic Name: clindamycin (KLIN-da-MYE-sin)
Brand Name: Evoclin
Evoclin foam is used for:
Treating acne. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Evoclin foam is a topical lincomycin antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria that cause acne and reducing the amount of free fatty acids that irritate the skin surface.
Do NOT use Evoclin foam if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Evoclin foam or to lincomycin
- you have Crohn disease or a history of severe bowel problems (eg, regional enteritis), colitis associated with antibiotic use (eg, pseudomembranous colitis), or ulcerative colitis
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Evoclin foam:
Some medical conditions may interact with Evoclin foam. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have GI (bowel) disease or diarrhea
- if you have a history of eczema
- if you have broken or severely irritated skin at the application site
- if you are planning to have surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Evoclin foam. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, vecuronium) or succinylcholine because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Evoclin foam
- Erythromycin because it may decrease Evoclin foam's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Evoclin foam may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Evoclin foam:
Use Evoclin foam as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Evoclin foam. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Evoclin foam is for topical use on the skin only.
- Wash the affected areas to be treated with mild soap and water and allow the skin to dry thoroughly.
- To use Evoclin foam, hold the can upright and dispense the amount of medicine to be used directly into the cap or onto a cool surface. Pick up small amounts of the foam with your fingertips and gently massage it into the affected areas until the foam disappears.
- If the can seems warm or the foam seems runny, hold the can under cold running water to cool it. Do not dispense the medicine directly onto your skin or hands because it will melt too soon.
- Throw away any unused medicine that has been dispensed out of the can.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Evoclin foam.
- Use Evoclin foam on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- If you miss a dose of Evoclin foam, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Evoclin foam.
Important safety information:
- Evoclin foam is for external use only. Do not get Evoclin foam in or near your eyes, on the inside of your nose or mouth, or on broken skin. If you accidentally get the medicine in your eyes, immediately flush them with a large amount of cool tap water.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor. If you use topical products too often, your condition may become worse.
- Be sure to use Evoclin foam for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement in your acne. Continue using Evoclin foam for the full time recommended by your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 6 to 8 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not use Evoclin foam for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Evoclin foam may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Evoclin foam is flammable. Do not store or use near a fire or other open flame or while you are smoking.
- Evoclin foam should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Evoclin foam can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Evoclin foam while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. Do not breast-feed while taking Evoclin foam.
Possible side effects of Evoclin foam:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Headache; mild burning, dryness, or itching at the application site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood or mucus in stools; pain, swelling, redness, burning, or peeling of the skin; severe or persistent diarrhea; stomach cramps or pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Evoclin foam may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Evoclin foam:
Store Evoclin foam at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Do not store in the bathroom. Store away from heat and direct sunlight. Avoid temperatures above 120 degrees F (49 degrees C). Do not puncture, break, or burn the canister even if it appears to be empty. Keep Evoclin foam out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Evoclin foam, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Evoclin foam is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Evoclin foam or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Evoclin foam. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Evoclin foam. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Evoclin foam.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Evoclin (clindamycin topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability