The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: Erythromycin Pad and Topical Solution (eh RITH roe MYE sin)
Brand Name: Akne-Mycin, Emcin Clear, Ery Pads
Uses of Emcin Clear:
- It is used to treat pimples (acne).
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Emcin Clear?
- If you have an allergy to erythromycin or any other part of Emcin Clear (erythromycin pad and topical solution).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Emcin Clear?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Emcin Clear. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
- Use other pimple (acne) drugs with care. More skin irritation may happen.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Emcin Clear) best taken?
Use Emcin Clear as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take this medicine by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Wash and rinse affected skin with warm water, then pat dry.
- Put a thin layer on the affected part and let dry.
- This medicine may catch on fire. Do not use near an open flame or while smoking.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad skin irritation.
- Eye irritation.
- Diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, and a certain bowel problem (colitis) have happened with Emcin Clear. Very bad colitis may lead to death. Call your doctor right away if you have stomach pain or cramps, very bad or watery diarrhea, or bloody diarrhea. Do not try to treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
What are some other side effects of Emcin Clear?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Dry skin.
- Skin irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Emcin Clear?
- Store in the original container at room temperature.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Protect from heat or open flame.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Emcin Clear or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Emcin Clear. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
Review Date: November 1, 2017
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Emcin Clear (erythromycin topical)
- Emcin Clear Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical acne agents