The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Econopred Plus Drops
Generic Name: prednisolone acetate (pred-NISS-oh-lone ASS-uh-tate)
Brand Name: Omnipred and Pred Forte
Econopred Plus Drops are used for:
Treating inflammation of the eyes and eyelids due to certain conditions. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Econopred Plus Drops are an ophthalmic corticosteroid. Exactly how Econopred Plus Drops works is not known.
Do NOT use Econopred Plus Drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Econopred Plus Drops or to other corticosteroids (eg, prednisone)
- you have certain eye infections (eg, herpes, tuberculosis, fungal, or viral infections), chickenpox, or an infection due to smallpox vaccination (vaccinia)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Econopred Plus Drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Econopred Plus Drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes, glaucoma, optic nerve damage, or thinning of the cornea or other eye tissues
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Econopred Plus Drops. Because little, if any, of Econopred Plus Drops are absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Econopred Plus Drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Econopred Plus Drops:
Use Econopred Plus Drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake well before each use.
- To use Econopred Plus Drops in the eye, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eyelid for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If your doctor prescribed more than 1 eye medicine, ask the best order for using each medicine.
- Do not wear contact lenses while you are using Econopred Plus Drops. Take care of your contact lenses as directed by the manufacturer. Check with your doctor before you use them.
- If you miss a dose of Econopred Plus Drops, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Econopred Plus Drops.
Important safety information:
- Econopred Plus Drops may cause blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Econopred Plus Drops with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Some of these products contain sulfites. Sulfites may cause an allergic reaction in some patients (eg, asthma patients). If you have ever had an allergic reaction to sulfites, ask your pharmacist if your product has sulfites in it.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for future eye problems without checking with your doctor.
- Lab tests, including eye exams, may be performed while you use Econopred Plus Drops. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Econopred Plus Drops should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Econopred Plus Drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Econopred Plus Drops.
Possible side effects of Econopred Plus Drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision; temporary burning or stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in vision; continued or worsening itching, swelling, or irritation; continuing blurred vision; discharge from eyes; eye pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Econopred Plus Drops:
Store Econopred Plus Drops at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Econopred Plus Drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Econopred Plus Drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Econopred Plus Drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Econopred Plus Drops or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Econopred Plus Drops. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Econopred Plus Drops. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Econopred Plus Drops.