Generic Name: Barium Suspension (BA ree um)
Brand Name: Digibar 190, E-Z-Cat Dry, E-Z-Dose, E-Z-HD, E-Z-Paque, ...show all 19 brand names.Entero VU, Liquid E-Z-Paque, Liquid Polibar, Liquid Polibar Plus, Maxibar, Polibar ACB, Readi-Cat, Readi-Cat 2, Tagitol V, Varibar Honey, Varibar Nectar, Varibar Thin Honey, Varibar Thin Liquid, VoLumen
Medically reviewed on May 2, 2018
Uses of E-Z-Dose:
- It is used before an x-ray or an alike test.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take E-Z-Dose?
- If you have an allergy to barium or any other part of E-Z-Dose (barium suspension).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have had any of these health problems: Blockage, hole, bleeding, injury, burn, or blood flow problems in the GI (gastrointestinal) tract; slow-moving GI (gastrointestinal) tract; or a problem called toxic megacolon.
- If you have had a recent hole in the GI (gastrointestinal) tract, GI surgery, or radiation to the pelvic area.
- If you have trouble swallowing or have inhaled food, liquids, saliva, or vomit into your lungs.
- If you are not able to break down fructose.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with E-Z-Dose (barium suspension).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take E-Z-Dose (barium suspension) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take E-Z-Dose?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take E-Z-Dose (barium suspension). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly allergic reactions have rarely happened. Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine prevents many other drugs from getting into the body. If you take other drugs, check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you need to take them at some other time than E-Z-Dose (barium suspension).
- To prevent hard stools (constipation) or bowel block from E-Z-Dose (barium suspension), your doctor may have you use a laxative like milk of magnesia or lactulose after using E-Z-Dose (barium suspension). Follow what your doctor has told you. Talk with your doctor.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids after using E-Z-Dose (barium suspension) unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use E-Z-Dose (barium suspension) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Some products are not approved for use in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Some products have sorbitol in them. Very bad health problems like low blood sugar, bleeding, and kidney failure have happened when people who are not able to break down fructose took a product with sorbitol in it. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using E-Z-Dose (barium suspension) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (E-Z-Dose) best taken?
Use E-Z-Dose (barium suspension) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Follow what your doctor has told you to do.
- Shake well before use.
- Most of the time, E-Z-Dose (barium suspension) is taken by mouth. Take as you have been told by your doctor.
- Some brands of E-Z-Dose (barium suspension) are to be taken with food. Some brands may be taken with or without food. Ask your pharmacist if you need to take your brand with food.
- Some products may be used as an enema. If you are using E-Z-Dose (barium suspension) as an enema, it will be given rectally by your doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very hard stools (constipation).
- Very bad belly pain.
- Shortness of breath.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Fast or slow heartbeat.
- Feeling agitated.
- Feeling confused.
- Blue or gray skin color.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Pale skin.
- Ringing in ears.
- Sweating a lot.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Coughing up blood.
- Swelling, warmth, numbness, change of color, or pain in a leg or arm.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
What are some other side effects of E-Z-Dose?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out E-Z-Dose?
- Most of the time, E-Z-Dose (barium suspension) will be given in a hospital or doctor's office. If stored at home, follow how to store as you were told by the doctor.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about E-Z-Dose (barium suspension), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about barium sulfate
- Barium sulfate Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- En Español
- 14 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: non-iodinated contrast media
- Barium sulfate oral and rectal
- Barium Capsules
- Barium Oral Cream and Paste
- Barium Suspension
- Barium Tablets
- Barium sulfate Oral, Rectal (Advanced Reading)