Generic name: Methyl Salicylate, Menthol, and Camphor (METH il sa LIS i late, MEN thol, & KAM for)
Brand name: DuraProxin ES, Medicated Pain Relieving Patch
Drug class: Topical rubefacient
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 11, 2021.
Uses of DuraProxin ES:
- It is used to ease muscle and joint aches and pain.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take DuraProxin ES?
- If you have an allergy to methyl salicylate, menthol, camphor or any other part of DuraProxin ES (methyl salicylate, menthol, and camphor).
- If you are allergic to DuraProxin ES (methyl salicylate, menthol, and camphor); any part of DuraProxin ES (methyl salicylate, menthol, and camphor); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If your skin is damaged or has open wounds. Do not put on damaged skin or open wounds.
- If you are using another drug like this one. If you are not sure, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with DuraProxin ES (methyl salicylate, menthol, and camphor).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take DuraProxin ES (methyl salicylate, menthol, and camphor) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take DuraProxin ES?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take DuraProxin ES (methyl salicylate, menthol, and camphor). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If DuraProxin ES (methyl salicylate, menthol, and camphor) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Avoid using a heating pad or other heating devices on the treated area.
- Do not use right before or after a bath, shower, or heavy exercise.
- If signs get worse or last for more than 7 days, talk with the doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before you use DuraProxin ES (methyl salicylate, menthol, and camphor) for a child younger than 12 years old.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using DuraProxin ES (methyl salicylate, menthol, and camphor) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (DuraProxin ES) best taken?
Use DuraProxin ES (methyl salicylate, menthol, and camphor) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take DuraProxin ES (methyl salicylate, menthol, and camphor) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Trim patch to cover the affected skin.
- Do not bandage tightly.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use DuraProxin ES (methyl salicylate, menthol, and camphor) on a regular basis, put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times DuraProxin ES (methyl salicylate, menthol, and camphor) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad skin irritation.
What are some other side effects of DuraProxin ES?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out DuraProxin ES?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat and sunlight.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about DuraProxin ES (methyl salicylate, menthol, and camphor), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about camphor / menthol / methyl salicylate topical
- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 2 Reviews
- Drug class: topical rubefacient
- Other brands
- Bengay Ultra Strength Cream, Salonpas Pain Relieving Patch, Tiger Balm Active Muscle Rub, FlexAll 454 Ultra Plus, Pomada Dragon Pain Relief
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.