The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Dura Tan PE suspension
Generic Name: chlorpheniramine/methscopolamine/phenylephrine (klor-fen-EER-a-meen/meth-skoe-POL-a-meen/fen-ill-EF-rin)
Brand Name: Examples include AH-Chew and Dura Tan PE
Dura Tan PE suspension is used for:
Relieving congestion, sneezing, runny nose, and itchy, watery eyes due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Dura Tan PE suspension is an antihistamine, decongestant, and anticholinergic combination. It works by blocking histamine, a substance in the body that causes sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes. It also relieves nasal congestion by shrinking the nasal mucous membranes, which promotes nasal drainage, and dries the chest by decreasing lung secretions.
Do NOT use Dura Tan PE suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dura Tan PE suspension
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) in the last 14 days
- you have narrow-angle glaucoma; a blockage of the bladder, stomach, or intestines; peptic ulcer disease; severe bowel problems (eg, ulcerative colitis); inflammation of the esophagus from reflux disease; difficulty swallowing; myasthenia gravis (muscle weakness); or uncontrolled bleeding
- you have severe heart disease, severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel problems, a rapid heartbeat, or you are unable to urinate
- you are having an asthma attack
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dura Tan PE suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Dura Tan PE suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of diabetes, an enlarged prostate, bladder or kidney problems, high blood pressure, asthma, lung problems (eg, emphysema), nerve problems, heart problems (eg, ischemic heart disease, irregular heartbeat), blood vessel problems, blood clots, stroke, a hiatal hernia, an adrenal gland tumor, increased pressure in the eye, glaucoma, or risk factors for glaucoma, breathing problems during sleep, seizures, trouble urinating, or an overactive thyroid
- if you have diarrhea
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dura Tan PE suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of severe drowsiness or coma may be increased
- Furazolidone or MAOIs (eg, phenelzine) because severe high blood pressure, fast or irregular heartbeat, or seizures may occur
- Alpha-blockers (eg, prazosin), anesthetics (eg, chloroform, lidocaine), anticholinergics (eg, atropine, benztropine, dicyclomine), beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (eg, acetazolamide), diuretics (eg, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide), ergotamine, tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline), or urinary alkalinizers (eg, sodium bicarbonate) because they may increase the risk of Dura Tan PE suspension's side effects
- Bromocriptine, catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, entacapone), certain stimulants (eg, doxapram, pseudoephedrine), cocaine, digoxin, droxidopa, or potassium chloride because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Dura Tan PE suspension
- Clonidine, guanethidine, guanfacine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, and reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Dura Tan PE suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Dura Tan PE suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dura Tan PE suspension:
Use Dura Tan PE suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Dura Tan PE suspension by mouth with or without food.
- Shake well before each use.
- Do not take Dura Tan PE suspension at the same time as antacids, certain medicines for diarrhea (eg, kaolin, pectin, attapulgite, bismuth), or ketoconazole. Take these medicines 2 or 3 hours before or after you take Dura Tan PE suspension.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Dura Tan PE suspension and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dura Tan PE suspension.
Important safety information:
- Dura Tan PE suspension may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Dura Tan PE suspension with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Dura Tan PE suspension; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days or if you develop a high fever or persistent headache, check with your doctor.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Dura Tan PE suspension may cause dry mouth. To relieve dry mouth, suck on sugarless hard candy or ice chips, chew sugarless gum, drink water, or use a saliva substitute.
- Dura Tan PE suspension may make your eyes more sensitive to sunlight. It may help to wear sunglasses.
- Dura Tan PE suspension may reduce sweating. Do not become overheated in hot weather or while you are being active; heatstroke may occur.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Dura Tan PE suspension without checking with your doctor.
- Dura Tan PE suspension has phenylephrine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has phenylephrine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- If you have trouble sleeping, ask your doctor or pharmacist about the best time of the day to take Dura Tan PE suspension.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Dura Tan PE suspension before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Diabetes patients - Dura Tan PE suspension may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Dura Tan PE suspension may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Dura Tan PE suspension.
- Use Dura Tan PE suspension with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Dura Tan PE suspension should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Dura Tan PE suspension can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Dura Tan PE suspension while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Dura Tan PE suspension.
Possible side effects of Dura Tan PE suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability or irritability (especially in children); flushing; headache; nausea; nervousness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision; clumsiness; difficulty swallowing; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; mental or mood changes; seizures; tremor; trouble sleeping; trouble urinating; unusual bleeding or bruising; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include deep sleep or loss of consciousness; hallucinations; hot or cool skin; irregular heartbeat; irritability, anxiety, or panic; large pupils; numbness or tingling in the arms or legs; seizures; slowed or shallow breathing; vomiting.Proper storage of Dura Tan PE suspension:
Store Dura Tan PE suspension at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Dura Tan PE suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dura Tan PE suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dura Tan PE suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Dura Tan PE suspension. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.