The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Duotan PD suspension
Generic Name: dexchlorpheniramine/pseudoephedrine (dex-klor-fen-IR-a-meen/soo-doe-e-FED-rin)
Brand Name: Duotan PD and Tanafed DP
Duotan PD suspension is used for:
Relieving congestion, sneezing, runny nose, nasal or throat itching, and itchy or watery eyes caused by colds, hay fever, or other allergic conditions. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Duotan PD suspension is an antihistamine and decongestant combination. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The decongestant promotes sinus and nasal drainage, relieving congestion and pressure.
Do NOT use Duotan PD suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Duotan PD suspension
- you are also taking droxidopa or sodium oxybate (GHB), or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Duotan PD suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Duotan PD suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of asthma, lung problems (eg, emphysema), heart problems, blood vessel problems, ulcer, blockage of the stomach or intestines, difficulty urinating, blockage of the bladder, an overactive thyroid, diabetes, seizures, stroke, glaucoma, increased pressure in the eye, high blood pressure, adrenal gland problems, an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems, or trouble sleeping
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Duotan PD suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Furazolidone, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because side effects, such as severe headaches, high fever, and high blood pressure, may occur
- Digoxin or droxidopa because side effects, such as irregular heartbeat or heart attack, may occur
- Urinary alkalinizers (eg, sodium bicarbonate) because side effects of Duotan PD suspension may be increased
- Sodium oxybate (GHB) because side effects, such as severe drowsiness, may occur
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of side effects and toxic effects may be increased by Duotan PD suspension
- Guanethidine, guanadrel, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because effectiveness may be decreased by Duotan PD suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Duotan PD suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Duotan PD suspension:
Use Duotan PD suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Duotan PD suspension may be taken with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Shake well before using.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Duotan PD suspension and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Duotan PD suspension.
Important safety information:
- Duotan PD suspension may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Duotan PD suspension. Using Duotan PD suspension alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or taking other medications that cause drowsiness (eg, sedatives, tranquilizers) while taking Duotan PD suspension. Duotan PD suspension will add to the effects of alcohol and other depressants. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines are depressants.
- If you have trouble sleeping, ask your doctor or pharmacist about the best time of day to take Duotan PD suspension.
- If you are scheduled for allergy skin testing, do not take Duotan PD suspension for several days before the test because it may decrease your response to the skin tests.
- Duotan PD suspension contains dexchlorpheniramine and pseudoephedrine. Before you begin taking any new prescription or nonprescription medicine, read the ingredients to see if it also contains dexchlorpheniramine or pseudoephedrine. If it does or if you are uncertain if it does, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or take Duotan PD suspension for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Duotan PD suspension without checking with your doctor.
- Use Duotan PD suspension with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Duotan PD suspension is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- Caution is advised when using Duotan PD suspension in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Duotan PD suspension during pregnancy. Duotan PD suspension is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Duotan PD suspension.
Possible side effects of Duotan PD suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, throat, or nose; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness; restlessness; trouble sleeping; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision; chest pain; decreased coordination; difficulty urinating; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever; hallucinations; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe dizziness or drowsiness; severe nervousness, anxiety, or restlessness; tremors; unusual weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include bluish-colored skin; difficulty breathing; dilated pupils; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever; flushing; hallucinations; mental or mood changes; seizures; severe drowsiness or dizziness; severe excitability; severe nausea or vomiting; sweating; tremors; trouble breathing.Proper storage of Duotan PD suspension:
Store Duotan PD suspension at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Duotan PD suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Duotan PD suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Duotan PD suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Duotan PD suspension or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Duotan PD suspension. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Duotan PD suspension. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Duotan PD suspension.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.