The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: l-methylfolate (METH-ill-FOH-late)
Brand Name: Deplin
DuLeek-Dp is used for:
Dietary management of low plasma or low red blood cell folate in certain patients. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
DuLeek-Dp is a medical food. It works by providing the body with folate.
Do NOT use DuLeek-Dp if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in DuLeek-Dp
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using DuLeek-Dp:
Some medical conditions may interact with DuLeek-Dp. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have anemia or low levels of vitamin B12 in the blood
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with DuLeek-Dp. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cholestyramine, colchicine, colestipol, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen), or sulfasalazine because they may decrease DuLeek-Dp's effectiveness
- Fluorouracil because the risk of its side effects may be increased by DuLeek-Dp
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), carbamazepine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), primidone, or valproic acid because they may decrease DuLeek-Dp's effectiveness; their effectiveness may also be decreased by DuLeek-Dp
- Pyrimethamine because its effectiveness may be decreased by DuLeek-Dp
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if DuLeek-Dp may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use DuLeek-Dp:
Use DuLeek-Dp as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take DuLeek-Dp by mouth with or without food.
- If you miss a dose of DuLeek-Dp, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use DuLeek-Dp.
Important safety information:
- Some brands of DuLeek-Dp may contain tartrazine dye (FD&C Yellow No. 5). This may cause an allergic reaction in some patients. If you have ever had an allergic reaction to tartrazine, ask your pharmacist if your product has tartrazine in it.
- Lab tests, including blood counts, may be performed while you use DuLeek-Dp. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- DuLeek-Dp should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if DuLeek-Dp can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using DuLeek-Dp while you are pregnant. DuLeek-Dp is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use DuLeek-Dp, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of DuLeek-Dp:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with DuLeek-Dp. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of DuLeek-Dp:
Store DuLeek-Dp at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store in original container until just before use. Store away from heat, light, and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep DuLeek-Dp out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about DuLeek-Dp, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- DuLeek-Dp is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take DuLeek-Dp or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about DuLeek-Dp. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to DuLeek-Dp. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using DuLeek-Dp.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.