Generic Name: Dronabinol Oral Solution (droe NAB i nol)
Brand Name: Syndros
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 25, 2019.
Uses of Dronabinol Oral Solution:
- It is used to help you eat more.
- It is used to treat upset stomach and throwing up.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Dronabinol Oral Solution?
For all patients taking dronabinol oral solution:
- If you are allergic to dronabinol oral solution; any part of dronabinol oral solution; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you take any drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) that must not be taken with dronabinol oral solution like certain cough or cold remedies, diet pills, drugs for mental or mood problems, or stimulants like amphetamine. There are many drugs that must not be taken with this drug.
- If you have an allergy to alcohol or you have taken disulfiram or metronidazole within the past 2 weeks. Taking dronabinol oral solution within 2 weeks after taking disulfiram or metronidazole may cause cramps, upset stomach or throwing up, headaches, and flushing.
- If you have a feeding tube. This medicine is not for use with some types of feeding tubes.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not take dronabinol oral solution if you are pregnant.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take dronabinol oral solution. You may also need to avoid breast-feeding for some time after your last dose. Talk with your doctor to see if you need to avoid breast-feeding after your last dose.
- If your child is a premature newborn. This medicine is not for use in certain ages of premature newborns.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with dronabinol oral solution.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take dronabinol oral solution with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Dronabinol Oral Solution?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take dronabinol oral solution. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how dronabinol oral solution affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- High or low blood pressure can happen after dronabinol oral solution is started or after the dose is raised. Changes in blood pressure may raise the chance of falling. Older people and people with heart problems may have a higher chance of changes in blood pressure and falling. Talk with the doctor.
- Check blood pressure and heart rate as the doctor has told you.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking dronabinol oral solution.
- Do not smoke or use other forms of cannabis (marijuana) while taking dronabinol oral solution. Talk with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- If you drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit often, talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may cause mood changes when you start taking it. Be sure there is someone you can trust to help you if needed when you take this drug.
- This medicine may be habit-forming with long-term use.
- Tell your doctor if you have ever had drug abuse, alcohol abuse, or mental or mood problems.
- If you stop taking dronabinol oral solution all of a sudden, you may have signs of withdrawal. Tell your doctor if you have any bad effects.
- If dronabinol oral solution is taken by accident, get medical help right away.
- Do not take disulfiram or metronidazole within 7 days after your last dose of dronabinol oral solution.
- This medicine has alcohol and propylene glycol in it. Preterm newborns may have a higher chance of very bad and sometimes deadly side effects caused by propylene glycol. If you have questions, talk with the doctor or pharmacist.
- This medicine is not approved for use in children. However, the doctor may decide the benefits of taking dronabinol oral solution outweigh the risks. If your child has been given dronabinol oral solution, ask the doctor for information about the benefits and risks. Talk with the doctor if you have questions about giving dronabinol oral solution to your child.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use dronabinol oral solution with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking dronabinol oral solution, call your doctor right away.
How is this medicine (Dronabinol Oral Solution) best taken?
Use dronabinol oral solution as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- If you are using dronabinol oral solution to help you eat more, take dronabinol oral solution 1 hour before lunch and dinner or as your doctor has told you.
- If you are using dronabinol oral solution to treat upset stomach and throwing up, follow what your doctor has told you to do about taking dronabinol oral solution with or without food.
- Only use the measuring device that comes with this liquid drug.
- Take with a full glass of water.
- Those who have feeding tubes may use dronabinol oral solution. Use as you have been told. Flush the feeding tube after dronabinol oral solution is given.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high or low blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Mental, mood, or behavior changes that are new or worse.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- A fast heartbeat.
- Memory problems or loss.
- Not able to focus.
- Change in balance.
- Feeling very sleepy.
- Feeling confused.
- Stomach pain, upset stomach, or throwing up that is new or worse.
- Mouth sores.
What are some other side effects of Dronabinol Oral Solution?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy.
- Feeling high (easy laughing and feeling good).
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Dronabinol Oral Solution?
- Store unopened bottles in the refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- After opening, store at room temperature or in a refrigerator. Throw away any part not used after 6 weeks.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about dronabinol oral solution, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about dronabinol
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 44 Reviews
- Drug class: miscellaneous antiemetics