Generic Name: acetaminophen/phenyltoloxamine (ah-seet-ah-MIN-oh-fen/fen-ill-tole-OX-a-meen)
Brand Name: Dologesic
Dologesic liquid is used for:
Treating mild to moderate aches and pains associated with headache, muscle and joint soreness, backache, menstrual cramps, colds and flu, sinusitis, toothache, and minor pain from arthritis, and to reduce fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Dologesic liquid is an analgesic, antihistamine, and antipyretic combination. It works by blocking substances in the body that cause fever, pain, and inflammation. It also blocks histamine, which causes sneezing and itchy, watery eyes.
Do NOT use Dologesic liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dologesic liquid
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dologesic liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Dologesic liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have bleeding problems, blood vessel problems in the brain, a blockage of the stomach or bowel, a blockage of the bladder, or difficulty urinating
- if you have lung problems (eg, asthma, emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [COPD]), an enlarged prostate, glaucoma, kidney problems, or liver problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dologesic liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Isoniazid, monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), or sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of side effects may be increased
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of side effects, including the risk of bruising or bleeding, may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Dologesic liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dologesic liquid:
Use Dologesic liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dologesic liquid may be taken with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Dologesic liquid and you are using it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dologesic liquid.
Important safety information:
- Dologesic liquid may cause drowsiness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Dologesic liquid. Using Dologesic liquid alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Dologesic liquid contains acetaminophen. Before you begin taking any new prescription or nonprescription medicine, read the ingredients to see if it also contains acetaminophen. If it does or if you are uncertain, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Avoid taking medicines that cause drowsiness (eg, sedatives, tranquilizers) while taking Dologesic liquid. Dologesic liquid will add to the effects of alcohol and other depressants. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines are depressants.
- Do not exceed the recommended dosage or take Dologesic liquid for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If you consume 3 or more alcohol-containing drinks every day, ask your doctor whether you should take Dologesic liquid or other pain relievers/fever reducers. Acetaminophen may cause liver damage. Alcohol use combined with Dologesic liquid may increase your risk for liver damage.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- If you are taking Dologesic liquid for pain or fever and your symptoms do not improve within 10 days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking Dologesic liquid.
- Caution is advised when using Dologesic liquid in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if Dologesic liquid can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Dologesic liquid during pregnancy. Dologesic liquid is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Dologesic liquid.
Possible side effects of Dologesic liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; heartburn; nausea; thickening of mucus in the nose and throat; upset stomach.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; dark urine or pale stools; decreased urination; severe stomach pain; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness; vomiting; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include abnormal behavior; dark urine; excessive sweating; extreme tiredness; fast or deep breathing; loss of consciousness; ringing in the ears; stomach pain; vomiting.Proper storage of Dologesic liquid:
Store Dologesic liquid at room temperature, 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Dologesic liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dologesic liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dologesic liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Dologesic liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Dologesic liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Dologesic liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Dologesic liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Dologesic (acetaminophen / phenyltoloxamine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: analgesic combinations