Generic Name: Coal Tar Shampoo (kohl tar)
Brand Name: Doak Tar, Ionil T
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 10, 2020.
Uses of Doak Tar:
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Doak Tar?
- If you have an allergy to coal tar or any other part of Doak Tar (coal tar shampoo).
- If you are allergic to Doak Tar (coal tar shampoo); any part of Doak Tar (coal tar shampoo); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have lupus.
- If your skin is sensitive to light.
- If a large area needs to be treated.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Doak Tar (coal tar shampoo).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Doak Tar (coal tar shampoo) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Doak Tar?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Doak Tar (coal tar shampoo). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may stain fingernails, hair, and skin.
- Protect clothing and fabrics from staining.
- You may get sunburned more easily. Avoid sun, sunlamps, and tanning beds. Use sunscreen and wear clothing and eyewear that protects you from the sun.
- Do not use coverings (bandages, dressings, make-up) unless told to do so by the doctor.
- Use of other skin products while using Doak Tar (coal tar shampoo) may cause more irritation.
- If you are getting any kind of light therapy, talk with your doctor.
- Do not use longer than you have been told by the doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Doak Tar (coal tar shampoo) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Doak Tar (coal tar shampoo) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Doak Tar) best taken?
Use Doak Tar (coal tar shampoo) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Doak Tar (coal tar shampoo) by mouth. Use on your scalp and hair only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, ears, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Wet hair and scalp.
- Put on enough shampoo to make a lather.
- Lather well and leave on as you have been told.
- Rinse and put on again.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad skin irritation.
What are some other side effects of Doak Tar?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where Doak Tar (coal tar shampoo) is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Doak Tar?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Doak Tar (coal tar shampoo), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.