Diphtheria & Tetanus Tox/Acell Pertussis/Polio Vacc
Generic Name: Diphtheria & Tetanus Tox/Acell Pertussis/Polio Vacc (dif THEER ee a & TET a nus TOKS oyds, ay CEL yoo lar per TUS sis & POE lee oh VYE rus vak SEEN)
Brand Name: Kinrix
Uses of Diphtheria & Tetanus Tox/Acell Pertussis/Polio Vacc:
- It is used to prevent diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, and polio.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Diphtheria & Tetanus Tox/Acell Pertussis/Polio Vacc?
- If your child has an allergy to diphtheria & tetanus tox/acell pertussis/polio vacc or any part of this medicine.
- If your child is allergic to any drugs like this one or any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell the doctor about the allergy and what signs your child had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If your child has seizures or any other brain or nervous system problem.
- If your child has had a brain problem like coma, lowered level of awareness, or seizures from an unknown cause within 7 days of a previous vaccine that has pertussis.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with diphtheria & tetanus tox/acell pertussis/polio vacc.
Tell the doctor and pharmacist about all of your child's drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for your child to take this medicine with all of his/her drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug your child takes without checking with the doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Diphtheria & Tetanus Tox/Acell Pertussis/Polio Vacc?
- Tell all of your child's health care providers that your child is taking diphtheria & tetanus tox/acell pertussis/polio vacc. This includes your child's doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If your child has a latex allergy, talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may not protect all people who use it. Talk with the doctor.
- Your child may be given another drug to lower certain side effects of this medicine.
How is this medicine (Diphtheria & Tetanus Tox/Acell Pertussis/Polio Vacc) best taken?
Give diphtheria & tetanus tox/acell pertussis/polio vacc as ordered by your child's doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot into a muscle.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your child's doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your child's doctor or get medical help right away if your child has any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Feeling confused.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Change in eyesight.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Trouble controlling body movements.
- Crying that lasts.
- Collapsing or passing out.
- Feeling very sleepy.
What are some other side effects of Diphtheria & Tetanus Tox/Acell Pertussis/Polio Vacc?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your child's doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother your child or do not go away:
- Pain where the shot was given.
- Redness or swelling where the shot is given.
- Feeling sleepy.
- Not hungry.
- Muscle pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your child's doctor. Call your child's doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Diphtheria & Tetanus Tox/Acell Pertussis/Polio Vacc?
- If you need to store this medicine at home, talk with your child's doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your child's symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your child's doctor.
- Do not share your child's drug with others and do not give anyone else's drug to your child.
- Keep a list of all your child's drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your child's doctor.
- Talk with your child's doctor before giving your child any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about diphtheria & tetanus tox/acell pertussis/polio vacc, please talk with your child's doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take diphtheria & tetanus tox/acell pertussis/polio vacc or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to diphtheria & tetanus tox/acell pertussis/polio vacc. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
Review Date: December 6, 2017
More about diphtheria toxoid/pertussis, acellular/poliovirus vaccine, inactivated/tetanus toxoid
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: vaccine combinations
- Diphtheria, pertussis acellular, polio, tetanus vaccine
- Diphtheria, tetanus, acellular pertussis, polio vaccine Intramuscular (Advanced Reading)