The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: dimethicone (dye-METH-i-kone)
Brand Name: Restore
Dimethicone liquid is used for:
Temporarily protecting and relieving minor skin irritations (eg, chapped or cracked skin). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
This product is an emollient. It works by moisturizing the skin.
Do NOT use dimethicone liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in dimethicone liquid
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if this applies to you.
Before using dimethicone liquid:
Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with dimethicone liquid. However, no specific interactions with dimethicone liquid are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if dimethicone liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use dimethicone liquid:
Use dimethicone liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash the affected area with mild soap and water, and gently pat dry.
- Apply dimethicone liquid to the affected area as directed by your doctor or on the package label. Gently rub in.
- Wash your hands right away after using dimethicone liquid unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- If you miss a dose of dimethicone liquid, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use dimethicone liquid.
Important safety information:
- Dimethicone liquid is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do not use dimethicone liquid on deep wounds, animal bites, or serious burns.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days, if they become worse, or if they clear up and then come back, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines on the treated area.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using dimethicone liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use dimethicone liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of dimethicone liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with dimethicone liquid. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); new or worsening skin irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Dimethicone liquid may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of dimethicone liquid:
Store dimethicone liquid between 50 and 100 degrees F (10 and 38 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Keep dimethicone liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about dimethicone liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dimethicone liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take dimethicone liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about dimethicone liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to dimethicone liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using dimethicone liquid.