Dihydrocodeine/ guaifenesin liquid
Generic Name: dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin (dye-HYE-droe-KOE-deen/gwye-FEN-e-sin)
Brand Name: J-MAX DHC
Some children have had serious and sometimes fatal breathing problems when using codeine after surgery to remove tonsils or adenoids. Talk with your doctor for more information.
Dihydrocodeine/ guaifenesin liquid is used for:
Relieving symptoms of nasal congestion, cough, and throat and airway irritation due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid is a cough suppressant and expectorant combination. It works by loosening mucus and lung secretions in the chest, and making coughs more productive. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex to reduce a dry cough.
Do NOT use dihydrocodeine/ guaifenesin liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid or any other codeine- or morphine-related medicine (eg, oxycodone)
- you have severe high blood pressure, a rapid heartbeat, other severe heart problems (eg, heart blood vessel disease), narrow-angle glaucoma, stomach ulcer, difficulty urinating, severe bowel problems (eg, paralytic ileus), or severe asthma, or you are having an asthma attack
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
- the patient is a child and has just had surgery to remove tonsils or adenoids
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using dihydrocodeine/ guaifenesin liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to morphine, codeine, or any other opiate (eg, hydrocodone, dihydrocodeine, oxycodone)
- if you have a history of glaucoma, an enlarged prostate gland or other prostate problems, heart problems, diabetes, high or low blood pressure, low blood volume, blood vessel problems, stroke, adrenal gland problems (eg, Addison disease), pancreas problems (eg, pancreatitis), or an overactive thyroid
- if you have a history of stomach problems, bowel problems (eg, chronic inflammation or ulceration of the bowel), gallbladder problems (eg, gallstones), a blockage of your bladder or bowel, or kidney or liver problems, or if you have had recent abdominal surgery
- if you have a history of asthma or other breathing problems, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you have recently had any head injury, brain injury or tumor, increased pressure in the brain, infection of the brain or nervous system, epilepsy, or seizures
- if you have a history of alcohol abuse, drug abuse, or suicidal thoughts or behavior; or if you are in poor health or are very overweight
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), cimetidine, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir), MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), muscle relaxants (eg, cyclobenzaprine), opioid analgesics (eg, hydrocodone), or phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine) because the risk of side effects from dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid may be increased
- Sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of severe drowsiness, breathing problems, seizures, irregular heartbeat, or heart attack may be increased
- Naltrexone because it may decrease the effectiveness of dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid
- Mecamylamine or methyldopa because their effectiveness may be decreased by dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use dihydrocodeine/ guaifenesin liquid:
Use dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid by mouth with or without food.
- Drink plenty of water while taking dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid.
Important safety information:
- Dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, muscle relaxers, sleep aids) while you are using dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not use dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid for a cough with a lot of mucous. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid.
Some people who use dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid for a long time may develop a need to continue taking it. People who take high doses are also at risk. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction.
If you stop taking dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid suddenly, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms. These may include anxiety, irregular heartbeat, irritability, restlessness, trouble sleeping, and unusual sweating.
Possible side effects of dihydrocodeine/ guaifenesin liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; increased sweating; lightheadedness; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; tiredness; trouble sleeping; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; difficulty urinating; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; mental or mood changes (eg, irritability); seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; vision changes or blurred vision.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; cold and clammy skin; coma; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid:
Store dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about dihydrocodeine/guaifenesin
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations
Other brands: J-Max DHC