Generic Name: adapalene (ADE-ah-PAH-leen)
Brand Name: Differin
Differin solution is used for:
Treating acne. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Differin solution is a retinoid-like medicine. It works by decreasing acne formation.
Do NOT use Differin solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Differin solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Differin solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Differin solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have eczema or sunburn
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Differin solution. Because little, if any, of Differin solution is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Differin solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Differin solution:
Use Differin solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Differin solution is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes, lips, angles of the nose, and mouth. Exposure of Differin solution to the eye may cause swelling, redness, and irritation.
- Do not apply Differin solution to cuts, abrasions, eczema, or sunburned skin. If you are sunburned, do not use this product on the sunburned area until your skin has completely recovered.
- Before applying Differin solution, clean the area to be treated with mild soap or soapless cleanser and gently dry.
- Apply a thin film of Differin solution to the affected area using enough to lightly cover the entire area. Rub in gently. Wash your hands immediately after using Differin solution.
- If you miss a dose of Differin solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Differin solution.
Important safety information:
- Differin solution may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Differin solution. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Acne may worsen in the early stages of taking Differin solution. This is due to the action of Differin solution on unseen lesions. It may take 8 to 12 weeks before you see the full benefit.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Wind and cold temperatures may irritate the affected skin.
- Differin solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Differin solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Differin solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Differin solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Acne; dry skin; feeling of warmth; irritation; itching; peeling; redness; scaling; sunburn; temporary burning or stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blistering; crusting; excessive redness or peeling; swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Differin solution:
Store Differin solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep bottle tightly closed and store upright. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Differin solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Differin solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Differin solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Differin solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Differin (adapalene topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 115 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: topical acne agents