Generic Name: adapalene (a-DAP-a-leen)
Brand Name: Differin
Differin cream is used for:
Treating severe acne. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Differin cream is a retinoid-like compound. The exact way Differin cream works is unknown. However, it helps the skin cells renew quicker and decreases blackhead formation.
Do NOT use Differin cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Differin cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Differin cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Differin cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have eczema or sunburn
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Differin cream. Because little, if any, of Differin cream is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Differin cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Differin cream:
Use Differin cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Differin cream. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Do not use other medicines on your skin without first discussing it with your doctor.
- Differin cream is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes, lips, angles of the nose, and mucous membranes. Exposure of Differin cream to the eye may cause swelling, redness, and irritation.
- Do not apply Differin cream to cuts, abrasions, eczematous skin, or sunburned skin.
- Use Differin cream in the evening before bedtime unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Before applying Differin cream, clean the area to be treated with mild soap or soapless cleanser and gently dry.
- Apply a thin film of Differin cream to the affected and surrounding area. Rub in gently. Wash your hands immediately after using Differin cream.
- A mild sensation of warmth or slight stinging may occur shortly after using Differin cream.
- If you miss a dose of Differin cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once. If several applications are missed, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Differin cream.
Important safety information:
- Differin cream may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Differin cream. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Differin cream may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Acne may worsen in the early stages of taking Differin cream. This is due to the action of Differin cream on unseen lesions. The benefits of Differin cream may be seen after 2 weeks but at least 8 weeks are needed to see consistent benefits.
- Skin moisturizers may be used if necessary. Do not use moisturizers that contain alpha hydroxy or glycolic acids.
- Certain cosmetic procedures, such as waxing, should not be performed on treated skin due to possible irritation.
- Cosmetics may be used while using Differin cream. After using cosmetics, thoroughly wash and dry the affected area before applying Differin cream.
- Wind and cold temperatures can also irritate the affected skin.
- Differin cream should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Differin cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Differin cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Differin cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Temporary burning and stinging; dry skin; feeling of warmth; irritation; itching; peeling; redness; scaling.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blistering; crusting; excessive redness or peeling; swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch .
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Differin cream may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Differin cream:
Store Differin cream at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Protect from freezing. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Differin cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Differin cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Differin cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Differin cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Differin cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Differin cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Differin cream.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Differin (adapalene topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 93 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability