Dibucaine Rectal Ointment
Generic Name: dibucaine (DIE-byoo-cane)
Brand Name: Nupercainal
Dibucaine Rectal Ointment is used for:
Relieving discomfort, itching, and burning caused by hemorrhoids.
Dibucaine Rectal Ointment is a topical anesthetic. It produces numbness for a short period of time by stopping nerves from sending pain impulses to the brain.
Do NOT use Dibucaine Rectal Ointment if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dibucaine Rectal Ointment
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dibucaine Rectal Ointment:
Some medical conditions may interact with Dibucaine Rectal Ointment. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dibucaine Rectal Ointment. However, no specific interactions with Dibucaine Rectal Ointment are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Dibucaine Rectal Ointment may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dibucaine Rectal Ointment:
Use Dibucaine Rectal Ointment as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dibucaine Rectal Ointment is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes.
- Apply Dibucaine Rectal Ointment to the affected area 3 or 4 times daily.
- Wash your hands before and after using Dibucaine Rectal Ointment.
- Cleanse the affected area with mild soap and warm water and rinse thoroughly.
- Gently dry the area to be treated by patting or blotting with toilet tissue or a soft cloth before applying Dibucaine Rectal Ointment.
- Do not bandage or wrap the affected area unless otherwise instructed by your doctor.
- Do not put this product in the rectum by using fingers or any mechanical device or applicator.
- If you miss a dose of Dibucaine Rectal Ointment, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dibucaine Rectal Ointment.
Important safety information:
- Some of these products contain sulfites, which can cause allergic reactions in certain individuals (eg, asthma patients). If you have previously had allergic reactions to sulfites, contact your pharmacist to determine if the product you are taking contains sulfites.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or use Dibucaine Rectal Ointment for longer than prescribed without first checking with your doctor.
- If your condition worsens or if rash, irritation, or rectal bleeding develops, contact your doctor immediately.
- Dibucaine Rectal Ointment is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 12 years of age without first checking with your doctor. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Dibucaine Rectal Ointment, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Dibucaine Rectal Ointment during pregnancy. It is unknown if Dibucaine Rectal Ointment is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Dibucaine Rectal Ointment, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Dibucaine Rectal Ointment:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); new or worsening redness, swelling, irritation, or pain at the application site; rectal bleeding.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; difficulty breathing; dizziness; drowsiness; exaggerated sense of well-being; heart attack; lightheadedness; low blood pressure; nervousness; ringing in the ears; seizures; sensations of heat, cold, or numbness; slow heartbeat; tremors; twitching; unconsciousness; uneasiness; vomiting.Proper storage of Dibucaine Rectal Ointment:
Store Dibucaine Rectal Ointment at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Dibucaine Rectal Ointment out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dibucaine Rectal Ointment, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dibucaine Rectal Ointment is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Dibucaine Rectal Ointment or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Dibucaine Rectal Ointment. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Dibucaine Rectal Ointment. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Dibucaine Rectal Ointment.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about dibucaine topical
- Other brands: Nupercainal