The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: vitamin b complex/vitamin c/biotin/folic acid (VYE-ta-min/BYE-oh-tin/FOE-lik AS-id)
Brand Name: Diatx
Diatx is used for:
A dietary supplement for certain patients with high blood levels of homocysteine or kidney failure, or those who are on dialysis or do not receive the proper amount of vitamins from their diet. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Diatx is a vitamin and folic acid combination. It works by providing vitamins and folic acid to the body to help meet nutritional requirements.
Do NOT use Diatx if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Diatx
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Diatx:
Some medical conditions may interact with Diatx. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have anemia (eg, pernicious anemia)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Diatx. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) or levodopa because their effectiveness may be decreased by Diatx
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Diatx may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Diatx:
Use Diatx as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Diatx may be taken with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Dialysis patients - Diatx should be taken after dialysis treatment.
- If you miss a dose of Diatx, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Diatx.
Important safety information:
- Diatx may cause drowsiness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Diatx with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) while you use Diatx unless your doctor tells you to.
- Diatx contains pyridoxine (vitamin B6) and folic acid. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has pyridoxine or folic acid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Diatx may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Diatx.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Diatx while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Diatx, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Diatx:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Drowsiness; headache; mild diarrhea; nausea.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); feeling of swelling of the entire body; numbness or tingling of the skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org/dnn/Resources/FindLocalPoisonCenters/tabid/130/Default.aspx), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Diatx:
Store Diatx at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Diatx out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Diatx, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Diatx is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Diatx. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.