Dextromethorphan/ pheniramine/ phenylephrine powder packets
Generic Name: dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine (DEX-troe-meth-OR-fan/fen-IR-a-meen/FEN-il-EF-rin)
Brand Name: Theraflu Cold and Cough
Dextromethorphan/ pheniramine/ phenylephrine powder packets are used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, and cough due to colds or allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets are a decongestant, antihistamine, and cough suppressant combination. It works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex to reduce a dry cough.
Do NOT use dextromethorphan/ pheniramine/ phenylephrine powder packets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using dextromethorphan/ pheniramine/ phenylephrine powder packets:
Some medical conditions may interact with dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); heart problems; high blood pressure; diabetes; blood vessel problems; stroke; glaucoma; a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or intestines; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; seizures; or an overactive thyroid
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets's side effects
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use dextromethorphan/ pheniramine/ phenylephrine powder packets:
Use dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets by mouth with or without food.
- Dissolve contents of 1 packet in 8 oz of hot water. Sip while hot. Drink entire mixture within 10 to 15 minutes.
- If using a microwave, stir before and after heating. Do not overheat.
- If you miss a dose of dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets.
Important safety information:
- Dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets without checking with your doctor.
- Dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets has dextromethorphan, pheniramine, and phenylephrine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has dextromethorphan, pheniramine, or phenylephrine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days, if they get worse, or if they occur with fever, rash, or persistent headache, check with your doctor.
- If you have trouble sleeping, ask your pharmacist or doctor about the best time to take dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets.
- Dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Do not use dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old without checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of dextromethorphan/ pheniramine/ phenylephrine powder packets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe or persistent nervousness, restlessness, or trouble sleeping; tremor; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets:
Store dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about dextromethorphan/pheniramine/phenylephrine
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations
Other brands: Theraflu Cold & Cough