The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Dextranomer and Sodium Hyaluronate
Uses of Dextranomer and Sodium Hyaluronate:
- It is used to help with controlling bowel movements.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Dextranomer and Sodium Hyaluronate?
- If you have an allergy to dextranomer and sodium hyaluronate or any part of this medicine.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Any anal or rectal problems like bleeding, growths, or infection; inflammatory bowel disease; or weak immune system.
- If you have ever had radiation to the pelvic area.
- If you are taking any drugs to suppress your immune system. This may be certain doses of steroids like prednisone. There are many drugs that can suppress your immune system. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- If you have another device where dextranomer and sodium hyaluronate will be used.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take dextranomer and sodium hyaluronate with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Dextranomer and Sodium Hyaluronate?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may not work for all people who use it. Talk with the doctor.
- Avoid hot baths and physical activity for 24 hours after getting dextranomer and sodium hyaluronate. Avoid sex and exercise for 1 week after getting this medicine.
- Do not put anything in the rectum, like suppositories, enemas, or rectal thermometers, for 1 month after getting dextranomer and sodium hyaluronate.
- Do not try to treat diarrhea with drugs for 1 week after getting this medicine unless your doctor tells you to.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using dextranomer and sodium hyaluronate while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Dextranomer and Sodium Hyaluronate) best taken?
Use this medicine as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- This medicine is for rectal use only. Do not take dextranomer and sodium hyaluronate by mouth.
- Your doctor will give this medicine.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Bleeding from rectum or rectal pain.
- Bloody loose stools (diarrhea).
- Trouble passing urine.
What are some other side effects of Dextranomer and Sodium Hyaluronate?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Dextranomer and Sodium Hyaluronate?
- If you need to store dextranomer and sodium hyaluronate at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take dextranomer and sodium hyaluronate or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to dextranomer and sodium hyaluronate. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
Review Date: December 6, 2017
More about dextranomer/sodium hyaluronate
- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous uncategorized agents
Other brands: Solesta