Dextranomer and Hyaluronate Derivatives (Solesta)
Generic Name: Dextranomer and Hyaluronate Derivatives (Solesta) (deks TRAN oh mer & hye al yoor ON ate dah RIV ah tives)
Brand Name: Solesta
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 13, 2020.
Uses of Dextranomer and Hyaluronate Derivatives:
- It is used to help with controlling bowel movements.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Dextranomer and Hyaluronate Derivatives?
- If you are allergic to this medicine (dextranomer and hyaluronate derivatives); any part of this medicine (dextranomer and hyaluronate derivatives); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Any anal or rectal problems like bleeding, growths, or infection; inflammatory bowel disease; or weak immune system.
- If you have ever had radiation to the pelvic area.
- If you are taking any drugs to suppress your immune system. This may be certain doses of steroids like prednisone. There are many drugs that can suppress your immune system. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- If you have another device where this medicine (dextranomer and hyaluronate derivatives) will be used.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (dextranomer and hyaluronate derivatives).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (dextranomer and hyaluronate derivatives) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Dextranomer and Hyaluronate Derivatives?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (dextranomer and hyaluronate derivatives). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may not work for all people who use it. Talk with the doctor.
- Avoid hot baths and physical activity for 24 hours after getting this medicine (dextranomer and hyaluronate derivatives). Avoid sex and exercise for 1 week after getting this medicine (dextranomer and hyaluronate derivatives).
- Do not put anything in the rectum, like suppositories, enemas, or rectal thermometers, for 1 month after getting this medicine (dextranomer and hyaluronate derivatives).
- Do not try to treat diarrhea with drugs for 1 week after getting this medicine (dextranomer and hyaluronate derivatives) unless your doctor tells you to.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Dextranomer and Hyaluronate Derivatives) best taken?
Use this medicine (dextranomer and hyaluronate derivatives) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Bleeding from rectum or rectal pain.
- Bloody diarrhea.
- Trouble passing urine.
What are some other side effects of Dextranomer and Hyaluronate Derivatives?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Dextranomer and Hyaluronate Derivatives?
- If you need to store this medicine (dextranomer and hyaluronate derivatives) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (dextranomer and hyaluronate derivatives), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about dextranomer / sodium hyaluronate
Other brands: Solesta