Generic Name: zinc oxide (zingk OCKS-ide)
Brand Name: Examples include Desitin and Diaparene
Desitin cream is used for:
Preventing and treating diaper rash. It can also be used to treat minor skin irritations (eg, cuts, burns, and scrapes, poison ivy).
It works by providing a skin barrier to prevent and help heal skin irritation.
Do NOT use Desitin cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Desitin cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Desitin cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Desitin cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Desitin cream. However, no specific interactions with Desitin cream are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Desitin cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Desitin cream:
Use Desitin cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- First, wash your hands. Then wash and dry the affected area, unless otherwise directed by your doctor. Apply a generous amount of medicine to completely cover the affected area. Wash your hands immediately after using Desitin cream.
- Desitin cream is for external use only. Avoid getting Desitin cream in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Use Desitin cream when diaper rash, redness, chafing, or skin irritation appears.
- Change wet and dirty diapers at once, clean the diaper area, and allow the area to dry.
- To help prevent diaper rash, apply Desitin cream to the diaper area before you have to, especially at bedtime.
- Apply Desitin cream freely as often as needed with each diaper change, especially at bedtime.
- For minor, noninfected scrapes and burns, apply a thin layer of Desitin cream, using a bandage if necessary.
- If diaper rash worsens or does not improve within 7 days, contact your child's doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Desitin cream, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Desitin cream.
Important safety information:
- Desitin cream may be harmful if swallowed. If you or someone you know may have taken Desitin cream by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- PREGNANCY AND BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Desitin cream during pregnancy. It is unknown if Desitin cream is excreted in breast milk. Check with your doctor before breast-feeding.
Possible side effects of Desitin cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Desitin cream:
Store between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Keep Desitin cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Desitin cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Desitin cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Desitin cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Desitin cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Desitin cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Desitin cream.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Desitin Rapid Relief Cream (zinc oxide topical)
- Other brands: Balmex, Boudreaux Butt Paste, Flanders Buttocks Ointment, Unna-Flex Elastic Unna Boot 4 inch, More (18) »