Deltuss DMX liquid
Generic Name: dexchlorpheniramine/dextromethorphan/pseudoephedrine liquid (DEX-klor-fen-IR-a-meen/DEX-troe-meth-OR-fan/SOO-doe-e-FED-rin)
Brand Name: Deltuss DMX
Deltuss DMX liquid is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, sneezing, runny nose, itching of the nose or throat, itchy or watery eyes, and cough due to colds, hay fever, or allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Deltuss DMX liquid is an antihistamine, cough suppressant, and decongestant combination. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex to reduce a dry cough. The decongestant promotes sinus and nasal drainage, relieving congestion and pressure.
Do NOT use Deltuss DMX liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Deltuss DMX liquid
- you have severe or uncontrolled high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you are also taking droxidopa or sodium oxybate (GHB), or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Deltuss DMX liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Deltuss DMX liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor), heart problems (eg, cor pulmonale; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; heart disease); high or low blood pressure; low blood volume; diabetes; blood vessel problems; stroke; glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye; seizures; or thyroid problems
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other lung or breathing problems (eg, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, sleep apnea); chronic cough; or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you have stomach or bowel ulcers; a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or bowels; trouble sleeping; kidney problems; trouble urinating; or an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Deltuss DMX liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Abiraterone, beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), furazolidone, linezolid, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or urinary alkalinizers (eg, sodium bicarbonate) because they may increase the risk of Deltuss DMX liquid's side effects
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Deltuss DMX liquid
- Guanethidine, guanadrel, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Deltuss DMX liquid
How to use Deltuss DMX liquid:
Use Deltuss DMX liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Deltuss DMX liquid may be taken with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Deltuss DMX liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Deltuss DMX liquid.
Important safety information:
- Deltuss DMX liquid may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Deltuss DMX liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using Deltuss DMX liquid.
- Check with your doctor before you use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Deltuss DMX liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- If you have trouble sleeping, ask your doctor or pharmacist about the best time of day to take Deltuss DMX liquid.
- Deltuss DMX liquid may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Deltuss DMX liquid. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Deltuss DMX liquid may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Deltuss DMX liquid for a few days before the tests.
- Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a decongestant, antihistamine, or cough suppressant in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not use Deltuss DMX liquid for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a chronic cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days, if they occur along with a fever, or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- If your cough goes away and comes back, or if it occurs along with a fever, rash, or persistent headache, check with your doctor.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or take Deltuss DMX liquid for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Deltuss DMX liquid without checking with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Deltuss DMX liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Deltuss DMX liquid with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, nervousness, sleeplessness, and trouble urinating.
- Caution is advised when using Deltuss DMX liquid in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- Deltuss DMX liquid should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Deltuss DMX liquid while you are pregnant. Deltuss DMX liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Deltuss DMX liquid.
Possible side effects of Deltuss DMX liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Anxiety; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, throat, or nose; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision or other vision changes; confusion; difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; hallucinations; loss of coordination; mood or mental changes (eg, depression, nervousness); restlessness; seizures; severe dizziness, drowsiness, light-headedness, or headache; severe dryness of mouth, nose, and throat; severe or persistent trouble sleeping; shortness of breath; tremors; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; flushing; hallucinations; mental or mood changes; muscle spasms; seizures; severe drowsiness, dizziness, light-headedness, or headache; trouble breathing; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Deltuss DMX liquid:
Store Deltuss DMX liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not freeze. Keep Deltuss DMX liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Deltuss DMX liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Deltuss DMX liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Deltuss DMX liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Deltuss DMX liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Deltuss DMX liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Deltuss DMX liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.