DDAVP Rhinal Tube
Generic Name: Desmopressin Nasal Spray (Diabetes Insipidus) (DES moe PRES in)
Brand Name: DDAVP, DDAVP Rhinal Tube
- This medicine can cause low sodium levels. Very low sodium levels can be life-threatening, leading to seizures, passing out, trouble breathing, or death. Talk with the doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Talk with your doctor if you have an infection, a fever, loose stools (diarrhea), or are throwing up. Talk with your doctor if you will be out in very hot weather, will be active, or will be changing how much water you drink for any reason.
- Talk with your doctor if you are taking any drugs that can raise the chance of low sodium levels. There are many drugs that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- If you are 65 or older, use DDAVP Rhinal Tube (desmopressin nasal spray (diabetes insipidus)) with care. You could have more side effects.
Uses of DDAVP Rhinal Tube:
- It is used to lower urine output.
- It is used to treat diabetes insipidus.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take DDAVP Rhinal Tube?
- If you have an allergy to this medicine or any part of DDAVP Rhinal Tube.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Kidney disease or if you have ever had low sodium levels.
- If you have heart failure (weak heart).
- If you have high blood pressure.
- If you have a health problem that leads to sodium loss like adrenal gland problems, diarrhea, eating disorders like anorexia or bulimia, nausea, or vomiting that will not stop.
- If you are drinking more water than normal.
- If you have a stuffy nose, scarring on the inside of your nose, or you have trouble breathing through your nose.
- If you have had any recent nose surgery, injury, ulcers, or sores, talk with your doctor.
- If you are using another drug in the nose.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take DDAVP Rhinal Tube with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take DDAVP Rhinal Tube?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Very bad allergic reactions have rarely happened. Sometimes, allergic reactions have been deadly with the shot form of DDAVP Rhinal Tube. Talk with the doctor.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (DDAVP Rhinal Tube) best taken?
Use DDAVP Rhinal Tube as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Follow what the doctor said about how much liquid to drink and how much to work out.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- Do not take this medicine by mouth. Use in your nose only. Keep out of your mouth and eyes (may burn).
- Blow your nose before use.
- Some products may have different ways to prime the pump. Some pumps may also need to be primed if not used for different periods of time. Follow how and when to prime as you have been told.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of low sodium levels like headache, trouble focusing, memory problems, feeling confused, weakness, seizures, or change in balance.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Mood changes.
- Change in how you act.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Muscle pain or weakness.
- Muscle spasm.
- Not hungry.
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Very bad headache.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Swelling, warmth, numbness, change of color, or pain in a leg or arm.
- Chest pain or pressure or a fast heartbeat.
- Coughing up blood.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Bad nosebleeds.
What are some other side effects of DDAVP Rhinal Tube?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Runny nose.
- Stuffy nose.
- Sore throat.
- Nose irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out DDAVP Rhinal Tube?
- Some brands of DDAVP Rhinal Tube need to be stored in a refrigerator. Some brands of this medicine need to be stored at room temperature. If you have questions about how to store DDAVP Rhinal Tube, talk with your pharmacist.
- Be sure you know how long you can store this medicine before you need to throw it away.
- Store upright with the cap on.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about DDAVP Rhinal Tube (desmopressin nasal spray (diabetes insipidus)), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about DDAVP Rhinal Tube. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using DDAVP Rhinal Tube.
Review Date: December 6, 2017
More about DDAVP Rhinal Tube (desmopressin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antidiuretic hormones