Daunorubicin and Cytarabine (Liposomal)
Generic Name: Daunorubicin and Cytarabine (Liposomal) (daw noe ROO bi sin & sye TARE a been lye po SO mal)
Brand Name: Vyxeos
Medically reviewed on Sep 5, 2018
Uses of Daunorubicin and Cytarabine:
- It is used to treat a type of leukemia.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Daunorubicin and Cytarabine?
- If you have an allergy to daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal) or any part of daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have heart problems like heart failure.
- If you have taken any drugs like this one.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal) and for 2 weeks after your last dose.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Daunorubicin and Cytarabine?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Allergic reactions have happened with daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal). Rarely, some reactions can be very bad or life-threatening. Talk with the doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- You will need to have your heart checked before starting daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal) and while taking it. This includes an ECG. Talk with your doctor.
- Heart failure has happened with daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal), as well as heart failure that has gotten worse in people who already have it. Tell your doctor if you have heart disease. Call your doctor right away if you have shortness of breath, a big weight gain, a heartbeat that is not normal, or swelling in the arms or legs that is new or worse.
- You may bleed more easily. Be careful and avoid injury. Use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor. Rarely, some bleeding problems have been deadly.
- You may have more chance of getting an infection. Wash hands often. Stay away from people with infections, colds, or flu.
- Talk with your doctor before getting any vaccines. Use with daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal) may either raise the chance of an infection or make the vaccine not work as well.
- This medicine may cause tissue damage if the drug leaks from the vein. Tell your nurse if you have any redness, burning, pain, swelling, blisters, skin sores, or leaking of fluid where the drug is going into your body.
- If you are 65 or older, use daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal) with care. You could have more side effects.
- If you are a man and have sex with a female who could get pregnant, protect her from pregnancy during care and for 6 months after care ends. Use birth control that you can trust.
- If you are a man and your sex partner gets pregnant while you take daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal) or within 6 months after your last dose, call your doctor right away.
- This medicine may affect being able to father a child. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant.
- If you are able to get pregnant, a pregnancy test will be done to show that you are NOT pregnant before starting daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal). Talk with your doctor.
- Use birth control that you can trust to prevent pregnancy while taking daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal) and for 6 months after stopping daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal).
- If you get pregnant while taking daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal) or within 6 months after your last dose, call your doctor right away.
How is this medicine (Daunorubicin and Cytarabine) best taken?
Use daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as an infusion into a vein over a period of time.
- Other drugs may be given before daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal) to help avoid side effects.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of bleeding like throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds; coughing up blood; blood in the urine; black, red, or tarry stools; bleeding from the gums; vaginal bleeding that is not normal; bruises without a reason or that get bigger; or any bleeding that is very bad or that you cannot stop.
- Signs of electrolyte problems like mood changes, confusion, muscle pain or weakness, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, seizures, not hungry, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- Signs of high or low blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, change in eyesight.
- Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- Chest pain.
- Feeling very sleepy.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
- Hearing loss.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Feeling very tired or weak.
What are some other side effects of Daunorubicin and Cytarabine?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Mouth irritation or mouth sores.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Hard stools (constipation).
- Muscle pain.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Stomach pain.
- Not hungry.
- Feeling sleepy.
- Not able to sleep.
- Signs of a common cold.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Daunorubicin and Cytarabine?
- If you need to store daunorubicin and cytarabine (liposomal) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about cytarabine liposomal/daunorubicin liposomal
- Cytarabine liposomal/daunorubicin liposomal Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: antineoplastic combinations
- Cytarabine and daunorubicin liposomal
- Daunorubicin and cytarabine liposome Intravenous (Advanced Reading)
Other brands: Vyxeos
- DAUNOrubicin and Cytarabine (AHFS Monograph)
- Daunorubicin and Cytarabine (Liposomal) (Wolters Kluwer)