Generic Name: Daptomycin (DAP toe mye sin)
Brand Name: Cubicin, Cubicin RF
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 29, 2019.
Uses of Daptomycin:
- It is used to treat bacterial infections.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Daptomycin?
- If you have an allergy to daptomycin or any other part of daptomycin.
- If you are allergic to daptomycin; any part of daptomycin; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Atorvastatin, fluvastatin, lovastatin, pitavastatin, pravastatin, rosuvastatin, or simvastatin.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with daptomycin.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take daptomycin with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Daptomycin?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take daptomycin. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take daptomycin.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
- Allergic reactions have happened with daptomycin. Rarely, some reactions can be very bad or life-threatening. Talk with the doctor.
- Muscle aches or weakness has happened with daptomycin. Rarely, a very bad muscle problem with or without very bad kidney problems has also happened with daptomycin. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use daptomycin with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine is not for children younger than 12 months. The chance of muscle and nerve problems may be raised in these children. However, your child's doctor may decide the benefits of taking daptomycin may outweigh the risks. If your child has been given daptomycin, ask the doctor for information about the benefits and risks. Talk with the doctor if you have questions about giving daptomycin to your child.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Daptomycin) best taken?
Use daptomycin as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given into a vein for a period of time.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Muscle pain or weakness, dark urine, or trouble passing urine.
- Shortness of breath.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Diarrhea is common with antibiotics. Rarely, a severe form called C diff–associated diarrhea (CDAD) may happen. Sometimes, this has led to a deadly bowel problem (colitis). CDAD may happen during or a few months after taking antibiotics. Call your doctor right away if you have stomach pain, cramps, or very loose, watery, or bloody stools. Check with your doctor before treating diarrhea.
What are some other side effects of Daptomycin?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Stomach pain or diarrhea.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Sweating a lot.
- Sore throat.
- Throwing up.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Daptomycin?
- If you need to store daptomycin at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about daptomycin, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about daptomycin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Drug class: miscellaneous antibiotics
- FDA Alerts (4)