The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: potassium and sodium citrates/citric acid (poe-TAS-ee-um and SOE-dee-um SIT-rates/SIT-rik AS-id)
Brand Name: Examples include Cytra-3 and Tricitrates
Cytra-3 solution is used for:
Preventing certain types of kidney stones. It also may be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Cytra-3 solution is a urinary alkalinizing agent. It neutralizes some of the acid in your urine, which reduces the formation of crystals in your urine that could become kidney stones.
Do NOT use Cytra-3 solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cytra-3 solution
- you have high potassium levels in the blood, high aluminum levels in the blood, severe kidney problems, or you are unable to urinate
- you have untreated Addison disease (an adrenal gland problem) or certain heart problems (heart failure or heart damage)
- you are taking a product that contains aluminum (eg, antacids)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cytra-3 solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Cytra-3 solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart problems (eg, heart failure), high blood pressure, adrenal gland problems, kidney problems, or diabetes
- if you have stomach or bowel problems (eg, ulcer, diarrhea), a urinary tract infection, or you are dehydrated
- if you have high blood acid levels; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; fluid buildup in the lungs; decreased urination; or trouble urinating
- if you have preeclampsia (high blood pressure during pregnancy)
- if you have low blood calcium levels, or you are on a sodium-restricted or potassium-restricted diet
- if you have a condition in which your skin is breaking down (eg, severe burns)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cytra-3 solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aldosterone blockers (eg, eplerenone), aliskiren, angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), potassium-sparing diuretics (eg, triamterene), or potassium supplements because the risk of high potassium levels, possibly with irregular heartbeat or a heart attack, may be increased
- Products that contain aluminum (eg, antacids), digoxin, certain stimulants (eg, amphetamine), or sympathomimetics (eg, albuterol, pseudoephedrine) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Cytra-3 solution
- Lithium or tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Cytra-3 solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Cytra-3 solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cytra-3 solution:
Use Cytra-3 solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Cytra-3 solution by mouth after meals and at bedtime, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Be sure to dilute Cytra-3 solution in water as directed on the packaging or by your doctor. Do not take Cytra-3 solution without mixing it.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Shake well before each use.
- Cytra-3 solution may taste better if it is chilled before you take it.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Cytra-3 solution is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If you take a tetracycline antibiotic (eg, doxycycline), do not take Cytra-3 solution within 2 hours before or after taking the tetracycline. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- If you miss a dose of Cytra-3 solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cytra-3 solution.
Important safety information:
- Cytra-3 solution may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Cytra-3 solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Check with your doctor before you use a salt substitute or a product that has potassium in it.
- Lab tests, including blood potassium levels, other blood electrolyte levels (eg, sodium, calcium, bicarbonate), and kidney function, may be performed while you use Cytra-3 solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Cytra-3 solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Cytra-3 solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Cytra-3 solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Cytra-3 solution. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; dizziness; irregular heartbeat; muscle cramps; numbness or tingling around the lips; numbness, tingling, pain, or weakness in the hands or feet; shortness of breath; unusual tiredness; unusual weakness or heaviness of the legs; weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; fainting; irregular heartbeat; nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; seizures; sluggishness; weakness.Proper storage of Cytra-3 solution:
Store Cytra-3 solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Cytra-3 solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cytra-3 solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cytra-3 solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Cytra-3 solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Cytra-3 solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Cytra-3 solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Cytra-3 solution.