Crotalidae Immune F(ab') (Equine)
Generic name: Crotalidae Immune F(ab') (Equine) (kroe TAL ih die i MYUN fab two EE kwine)
Brand name: Anavip
Drug class: Antitoxins and antivenins
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 13, 2020.
Uses of Crotalidae Immune F(ab'):
- It is used to treat some snake bites.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Crotalidae Immune F(ab')?
- If you have an allergy to horses or horse serum.
- If you are allergic to crotalidae immune F(ab') (equine); any part of crotalidae immune F(ab') (equine); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take crotalidae immune F(ab') (equine) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Crotalidae Immune F(ab')?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take crotalidae immune F(ab') (equine). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Allergic reactions can happen with crotalidae immune F(ab') (equine). Some allergic reactions may happen some time after crotalidae immune F(ab') (equine) has been given. Call your doctor right away if you have any signs that are not normal after getting crotalidae immune F(ab') (equine).
- This medicine is made from horse plasma (part of the blood) and may have viruses that may cause disease. This medicine is screened, tested, and treated to lower the chance that it carries an infection. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using crotalidae immune F(ab') (equine) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Crotalidae Immune F(ab')) best taken?
Use crotalidae immune F(ab') (equine) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as an infusion into a vein over a period of time.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Signs of bleeding like throwing up or coughing up blood; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; blood in the urine; black, red, or tarry stools; bleeding from the gums; abnormal vaginal bleeding; bruises without a cause or that get bigger; or bleeding you cannot stop.
- Muscle or joint pain.
- Swelling in the arms or legs.
- Mood changes.
What are some other side effects of Crotalidae Immune F(ab')?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Pain in arms or legs.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Crotalidae Immune F(ab')?
- If you need to store crotalidae immune F(ab') (equine) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about crotalidae immune F(ab') (equine), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about antivenin (crotalidae) polyvalent
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 2 Reviews
- Drug class: antitoxins and antivenins
- Drug Information
- Antivenin (crotalidae) polyvalent Injection (Advanced Reading)
- Antivenin (crotalidae) polyvalent immune fab Intravenous (Advanced Reading)
- Crotalidae immune f(ab)2 (equine) Intravenous (Advanced Reading)
- Crotalidae Polyvalent Immune FAB (Ovine)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.