The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: phenylephrine/dexchlorpheniramine/carbetapentane (FEN-il-EF-rin/DEX-klor-fen-IR-a-meen/kar-bay-ta-PEN-tane)
Brand Name: Corzall-PE
Corzall-PE liquid is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, itchy nose or throat, itchy or watery eyes, and cough due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Corzall-PE liquid is a decongestant, antihistamine, and cough suppressant combination. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex to reduce a dry cough.
Do NOT use Corzall-PE liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Corzall-PE liquid
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you have narrow-angle glaucoma, a stomach ulcer, you are unable to urinate, or you are having an asthma attack
- you take droxidopa, sodium oxybate (GHB), or if you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Corzall-PE liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Corzall-PE liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, pheochromocytoma), heart problems (eg, fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; heart disease), high or low blood pressure, low blood volume, diabetes, blood vessel problems, a stroke, glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye, or thyroid problems
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung or breathing problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, sleep apnea), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you have a history of stomach or bowel ulcers; a blockage of your stomach, bladder, or bowel; kidney problems; trouble urinating; or an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Corzall-PE liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or a heart attack may be increased
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, linezolid, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Corzall-PE liquid's side effects
- Bromocriptine because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Corzall-PE liquid
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Corzall-PE liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Corzall-PE liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Corzall-PE liquid:
Use Corzall-PE liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Corzall-PE liquid by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Corzall-PE liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Corzall-PE liquid.
Important safety information:
- Corzall-PE liquid may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Corzall-PE liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Corzall-PE liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you take Corzall-PE liquid without checking with your doctor.
- Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a decongestant, antihistamine, or cough suppressant in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not use Corzall-PE liquid for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days, if they come back or get worse, or if they occur along with a fever, check with your doctor.
- If cough is accompanied by a fever, rash, or persistent headache, check with your doctor.
- Corzall-PE liquid may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Corzall-PE liquid for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Corzall-PE liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Corzall-PE liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially confusion, drowsiness, dizziness, dry mouth, nervousness, sleeplessness, and trouble urinating.
- Caution is advised when using Corzall-PE liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- Corzall-PE liquid should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Corzall-PE liquid while you are pregnant. Some ingredients of Corzall-PE liquid may be found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Corzall-PE liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Corzall-PE liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability; headache; heartburn; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; hallucinations; loss of coordination; mental or mood changes (eg, depression, fear, tenseness); seizures; severe dizziness, drowsiness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe dryness of mouth, nose, and throat; severe or persistent trouble sleeping; shortness of breath; tremor; trouble urinating or inability to urinate; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision problems (eg, double vision, severe or persistent blurred vision).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; enlarged pupils; fever; flushing of the skin; hallucinations; loss of coordination; mental or mood changes; muscle spasms; seizures; severe dizziness, drowsiness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe nausea or stomach cramps; tremors; trouble breathing; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Corzall-PE liquid:
Store Corzall-PE liquid at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Corzall-PE liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Corzall-PE liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Corzall-PE liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Corzall-PE liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Corzall-PE liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Corzall-PE liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Corzall-PE liquid.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.