The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid
Generic Name: acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/pseudoephedrine (ah-seet-ah-MIN-oh-fen/klor-fen-EER-a-meen/soo-doe-e-FED-rin)
Brand Name: Children's Tylenol Cold and Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy
Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid is used for:
Relieving symptoms of colds, hay fever, and allergies such as headache, sinus pain, nasal and sinus congestion, sneezing, watery eyes, runny nose, fever, and itching of the nose or throat. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid is an antihistamine, decongestant, and pain reliever combination. It works by blocking histamine, a substance in the body that causes sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes. It also relieves nasal congestion and pain associated with sinus pressure, and dries the nose and chest.
Do NOT use Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of asthma; lung problems (eg, emphysema); heart problems; diabetes; difficulty urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; glaucoma; high blood pressure; an overactive thyroid; liver problems (eg, hepatitis) or severe kidney problems; adrenal gland problems (eg, pheochromocytoma); sleep apnea; trouble sleeping; stomach problems; ulcers; seizures; heart blood vessel problems; stroke; or a blockage of your stomach, intestines, or bladder
- if you consume more than 3 alcoholic drinks per day
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, entacapone), droxidopa, isoniazid, sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the risk of side effects may be increased
- Blood thinners (eg, warfarin), bromocriptine, furazolidone, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine) because the actions and side effects may be increased
- Certain high blood pressure medicines such as beta-blockers (eg, atenolol) and guanethidine because these medicines may be less effective
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid:
Use Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid may be taken with food if it upsets your stomach.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid.
Important safety information:
- Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid may cause drowsiness or dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid. Using Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid will add to the effects of alcohol and other depressants. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines are depressants.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose of Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid. Doing so will not improve your condition faster and may increase your risk for side effects.
- If your symptoms do not improve within a few days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid contains acetaminophen, chlorpheniramine, and pseudoephedrine. Before you begin taking any new prescription or nonprescription medicine, read the ingredients to see if it also contains acetaminophen, chlorpheniramine, or pseudoephedrine. If it does or if you are uncertain, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid without checking with your doctor.
- If you consume 3 or more alcohol-containing drinks every day, ask your doctor whether you should take Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid or other pain relievers/fever reducers. Acetaminophen may cause liver damage. Alcohol use combined with Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid may increase your risk for liver damage.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- If you are scheduled for allergy skin testing, do not take Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid for several days before the test because it may decrease your response to the skin tests.
- If you have trouble sleeping, ask your doctor or pharmacist about the best time of the day to take Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid.
- Caution is advised when using Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Different products may have different dosing instructions for CHILDREN on the package labeling. Follow the dosing instructions provided on the package labeling or by your doctor. If you are unsure of what dose to give a child, check with your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid during pregnancy. Some of the ingredients in Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid are excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; headache; nausea; nervousness; trouble sleeping.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; dark urine or pale stools; difficulty urinating; excessive sweating; frequent urination; hallucinations; pounding in the chest; rapid pulse; severe nervousness; stomach pain; tremors; unusual fatigue; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fast or irregular heartbeat; fever; hallucinations; nausea; seizures; sweating; tremors; trouble breathing; unusual drowsiness or dizziness; vomiting.Proper storage of Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid:
Store Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Comtrex Nighttime Flu Therapy liquid.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.