The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Colyte with Flavor Packs solution
Generic Name: polyethylene glycol/electrolytes (POL-ee-ETH-i-leen GLYE-kol/e-LECK-troe-lites)
Brand Name: Colyte with Flavor Packs
Colyte with Flavor Packs solution is used for:
Cleaning out the bowel before surgery or other procedures. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Colyte with Flavor Packs solution is a bowel cleansing solution. It works by causing the colon to produce a watery stool and empty the bowel.
Do NOT use Colyte with Flavor Packs solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Colyte with Flavor Packs solution
- you have certain stomach or bowel problems (eg, blockage, retention, perforation, toxic inflammation, megacolon, ileus)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Colyte with Flavor Packs solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Colyte with Flavor Packs solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have swallowing problems (eg, history of aspiration or regurgitation) or your gag reflex does not function properly, or if you have a nasogastric (NG) tube
- if you have electrolyte problems (eg, low blood calcium, magnesium, potassium, or sodium levels), kidney problems, or a history of seizures
- if you have a history of irregular heartbeat (eg, prolonged QT interval), a recent heart attack, a certain type of chest pain (unstable angina), or other heart problems (eg, enlarged heart, heart failure)
- if you have a history of stomach or bowel problems (eg, inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis, severe constipation)
- if you are going through alcohol or benzodiazepine (eg, diazepam) withdrawal
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Colyte with Flavor Packs solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, lisinopril), angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) (eg, valsartan), diuretics (eg, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide, spironolactone), eplerenone, tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline), or medicines that may harm the kidney (eg, aminoglycoside antibiotics [eg, gentamicin], amphotericin B, cyclosporine, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs [NSAIDs] [eg, ibuprofen], tacrolimus, vancomycin) because the risk of side effects, including abnormal blood electrolyte levels, seizures, or irregular heartbeat, may be increased. Ask your doctor if you are unsure if any of your medicines might harm the kidney
- Stimulant laxatives (eg, bisacodyl) because they may increase the risk of certain bowel problems (eg, colon inflammation or ulcers)
Ask your health care provider if Colyte with Flavor Packs solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Colyte with Flavor Packs solution:
Use Colyte with Flavor Packs solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Your doctor will tell you when to start using Colyte with Flavor Packs solution. Do not eat any solid foods for at least 2 hours before beginning Colyte with Flavor Packs solution. It is preferred that you do not eat for 3 to 4 hours before beginning Colyte with Flavor Packs solution.
- Drink only clear liquids and do not eat any solid foods from the time you start Colyte with Flavor Packs solution until your procedure is complete.
- Colyte with Flavor Packs solution must be mixed before you use it. Fill the container with the amount of water indicated on the package label. Use lukewarm water to mix Colyte with Flavor Packs solution to help the medicine dissolve faster. Shake well.
- Use Colyte with Flavor Packs solution within 48 hours after you mix it. Keep the mixed medicine in the refrigerator. This may also help improve the taste. Do not add sugar, sweetening agents, or other additives to Colyte with Flavor Packs solution.
- Some of these products come with a Flavor Pack. If this product comes with a Flavor Pack and you wish to use it, add the contents of the Flavor Pack into the bottle before you add the water. Do not add any other flavorings. If you do not use the Flavor Pack, throw it away.
- Shake well before each use.
- Drink 8 ounces (240 mL) of Colyte with Flavor Packs solution every 10 minutes until the stool is watery, clear, and free of all solid matter, or until the medicine is gone. At least 3 liters is usually required to produce the watery stool. It is best to drink all of Colyte with Flavor Packs solution. Be sure to follow the instructions provided by your doctor. It is best to drink each portion quickly rather than sipping it. Rinsing your mouth with mouthwash after each glass of medicine may help get rid of the taste.
- You will need to drink extra fluids (eg, water, clear soup, fruit juice without pulp, soft drinks, tea and/or coffee without milk) along with Colyte with Flavor Packs solution. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Other medicines taken by mouth within 1 hour of taking Colyte with Flavor Packs solution may not be absorbed or be effective. Contact your doctor or pharmacist with any concerns you might have about taking your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of Colyte with Flavor Packs solution, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor. Notify your doctor right away if you are unable to finish taking Colyte with Flavor Packs solution before your test.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Colyte with Flavor Packs solution.
Important safety information:
- The first bowel movement usually occurs about 1 hour after you begin drinking Colyte with Flavor Packs solution.
- Do NOT take other laxatives while you are taking Colyte with Flavor Packs solution.
- Your doctor may do blood tests after you take Colyte with Flavor Packs solution to check your blood for changes from too much fluid loss. Tell your doctor if you have dizziness; headache; severe bloating; severe or persistent nausea, stomach cramping, or vomiting; trouble drinking clear liquid; or if you urinate less than usual after you take Colyte with Flavor Packs solution.
- Use Colyte with Flavor Packs solution with caution in patients who are not fully conscious; they may be at greater risk for vomiting and getting the medicine into the airway or lungs.
- Use Colyte with Flavor Packs solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Colyte with Flavor Packs solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Colyte with Flavor Packs solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Colyte with Flavor Packs solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Colyte with Flavor Packs solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bloating; nausea; rectal irritation; stomach fullness or cramps; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; persistent or severe nausea and vomiting; rectal bleeding; severe stomach pain, swelling, or bloating; symptoms of blood electrolyte problems (eg, confusion; irregular heartbeat; mental or mood changes; muscle pain, weakness, or cramping; seizures); symptoms of dehydration (eg, decreased urination; dizziness; dry mouth or eyes; headache; sluggishness; weakness); vomiting of blood.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Colyte with Flavor Packs solution:
Before mixing, store Colyte with Flavor Packs solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. After mixing Colyte with Flavor Packs solution, store Colyte with Flavor Packs solution in the refrigerator in a tightly closed container. Use within 48 hours. Discard any unused portion of Colyte with Flavor Packs solution. Keep Colyte with Flavor Packs solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Colyte with Flavor Packs solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Colyte with Flavor Packs solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Colyte with Flavor Packs solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Colyte with Flavor Packs solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Colyte with Flavor Packs solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Colyte with Flavor Packs solution.