The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops
Generic Name: naphazoline (na-FAZ-oh-leen)
Brand Name: Examples include All Clear and Clear Eyes
Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops are used for:
Temporarily relieving redness, burning, and irritation caused by dry eyes. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops are an eye decongestant and lubricant. It works by constricting the blood vessels in the eye and coating the eye, which relieves redness, dryness, and irritation.
Do NOT use Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops
- you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the past 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have glaucoma, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart problems, or thyroid problems, or you are taking medicine for high blood pressure
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may decrease Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops's effectiveness
- Cocaine, furazolidone, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops's side effects, such as headache, fever, and high blood pressure
- Bromocriptine or cocaine because their actions and side effects may be increased by Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops:
Use Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops are for use in the eye only. Avoid contact with the nose, mouth, or other mucous membranes.
- To use Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eye for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including your eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If you miss a dose of Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops and you are using it regularly, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops.
Important safety information:
- Remove contact lenses before using Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops.
- Do not use Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops if it becomes cloudy or changes color.
- Contact your doctor if you experience changes in vision, eye pain, irritation, soreness, or continued redness, or if your condition does not improve after 3 days.
- Use Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops with caution in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops during pregnancy. It is unknown if Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops are excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision; minor stinging when the medicine is dropped into the eye.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in vision; eye pain; worsening or persistent eye irritation or redness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops may be harmful if swallowed, especially in children.Proper storage of Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops:
Store Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Clear Eyes Extra Relief Drops.