Generic Name: loratadine (lor-A-ta-deen)
Brand Name: Claritin Liqui-Gels
Claritin Liqui-Gels is used for:
Relieving symptoms of seasonal allergies such as runny nose; sneezing; itchy, watery eyes; or itching of the nose and throat. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Claritin Liqui-Gels is an antihistamine. It works by blocking a substance in the body called histamine. This helps to decrease allergy symptoms.
Do NOT use Claritin Liqui-Gels if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Claritin Liqui-Gels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Claritin Liqui-Gels:
Some medical conditions may interact with Claritin Liqui-Gels. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney or liver problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Claritin Liqui-Gels. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Amiodarone because the risk of severe irregular heartbeat may be increased
Ask your health care provider if Claritin Liqui-Gels may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Claritin Liqui-Gels:
Use Claritin Liqui-Gels as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Claritin Liqui-Gels by mouth with or without food.
- If you miss a dose of Claritin Liqui-Gels, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Claritin Liqui-Gels.
Important safety information:
- Taking Claritin Liqui-Gels in high doses may cause drowsiness. Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Claritin Liqui-Gels may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Claritin Liqui-Gels for a few days before the tests.
- Claritin Liqui-Gels should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old without checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Claritin Liqui-Gels while you are pregnant. Claritin Liqui-Gels is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Claritin Liqui-Gels, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Claritin Liqui-Gels:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fast or irregular heartbeat; severe drowsiness or headache.Proper storage of Claritin Liqui-Gels:
Store Claritin Liqui-Gels at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Claritin Liqui-Gels out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Claritin Liqui-Gels, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Claritin Liqui-Gels is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Claritin Liqui-Gels or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Claritin Liqui-Gels. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Claritin Liqui-Gels. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Claritin Liqui-Gels.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Claritin (loratadine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 15 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antihistamines