Generic Name: ciprofloxacin (sip-row-FLOX-ah-sin)
Brand Name: Ciloxan
Ciloxan ointment is used for:
Treating eye infections caused by certain bacteria.
Ciloxan ointment is a quinolone antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria by stopping the production of essential proteins needed by the bacteria to survive.
Do NOT use Ciloxan ointment if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ciloxan ointment or any other fluoroquinolone antibiotic (eg, levofloxacin)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ciloxan ointment:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ciloxan ointment. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you wear contact lenses
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ciloxan ointment. Because little, if any, of Ciloxan ointment is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Ciloxan ointment may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ciloxan ointment:
Use Ciloxan ointment as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ciloxan ointment may be used around the eye or in the eye. To use Ciloxan ointment in the eye, first, wash your hands. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from your eye to form a pouch. Squeeze a thin strip of ointment into the pouch. After using Ciloxan ointment, gently close your eyes for 1 to 2 minutes. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them. Wipe the applicator tip with a clean, dry tissue.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- Do not wear contact lenses while you are using Ciloxan ointment. Take care of your contact lenses as directed by the manufacturer. Check with your doctor before you use them.
- To clear up your infection completely, take/use Ciloxan ointment for the full course of treatment. Keep taking/using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Ciloxan ointment, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ciloxan ointment.
Important safety information:
- Ciloxan ointment may cause blurred vision or sensitivity to light. Use Ciloxan ointment with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not use leftover medicine for treating other infections or conditions without checking with your doctor.
- Be sure to use Ciloxan ointment for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Ciloxan ointment may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Ciloxan ointment should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ciloxan ointment while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Ciloxan ointment, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ciloxan ointment:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bloodshot eyes; blurred vision; burning or discomfort; crusting of eyelids; dry eyes; feeling of something in the eye; sensitivity to light.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); eyelid swelling; irritation; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Ciloxan ointment:
Store Ciloxan ointment between 36 and 77 degrees F (2 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ciloxan ointment out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ciloxan ointment, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ciloxan ointment is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Ciloxan ointment or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Ciloxan ointment. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Ciloxan ointment. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Ciloxan ointment.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.