Generic Name: iron/succinic acid/vitamin c/folic acid/vitamin b12 (EYE-urn/sux-IN-ic AS-id/VYE-ta-min C/FOE-lik AS-id/VYE-ta-min B 12)
Brand Name: Examples include Chromagen Forte and Repliva 21/7
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call the poison control center or a doctor at once.
Chromagen Forte is used for:
Treating certain types of anemia that can be helped by increasing the amount of iron in the body (eg, anemia caused by pregnancy, blood loss, low dietary iron, metabolic disease, surgery). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Chromagen Forte is a combination of vitamins and minerals. It works by replacing iron in the body.
Do NOT use Chromagen Forte if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Chromagen Forte
- you have too much iron in your body (eg, hemosiderosis, hemochromatosis)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Chromagen Forte:
Some medical conditions may interact with Chromagen Forte. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have another type of anemia (eg, pernicious anemia, megaloblastic anemia, hemolytic anemia)
- if you have stomach or bowel problems (eg, inflammation, Crohn disease, ulcer), metabolism problems, porphyria, or a blood disease (eg, thalassemia)
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Chromagen Forte. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Fluorouracil because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Chromagen Forte
- Doxycycline, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), mycophenolate, penicillamine, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Chromagen Forte
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Chromagen Forte may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Chromagen Forte:
Use Chromagen Forte as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Chromagen Forte by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Swallow Chromagen Forte whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Take Chromagen Forte with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Chromagen Forte.
- If you also take cefdinir, methyldopa, a quinolone antibiotic (eg, ciprofloxacin), or a tetracycline antibiotic (eg, minocycline), ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take it with Chromagen Forte.
- If you miss a dose of Chromagen Forte, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Chromagen Forte.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you take Chromagen Forte unless your doctor tells you to.
- Chromagen Forte may cause your stools to darken. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Chromagen Forte may interfere with certain lab tests, such as tests used to check for blood in the stool. Make sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Chromagen Forte.
- Lab tests, including blood counts and iron levels, may be performed while you use Chromagen Forte. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Chromagen Forte should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Chromagen Forte while you are pregnant. Chromagen Forte is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Chromagen Forte, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Chromagen Forte:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; darkened or green stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stool; severe or persistent vomiting or stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry stools; chest pain; coma; dizziness; fast heartbeat; fever; increased or decreased urination; increased thirst or hunger; seizures; severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain; shortness of breath; sluggishness; trouble breathing; unusual tiredness or drowsiness; unusually pale skin; weak pulse.Proper storage of Chromagen Forte:
Store Chromagen Forte at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Chromagen Forte out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Chromagen Forte, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Chromagen Forte is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Chromagen Forte or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Chromagen Forte. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Chromagen Forte. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Chromagen Forte.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Chromagen Forte (multivitamin with iron)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating