Generic Name: Cholic Acid (KOE lik AS id)
Brand Name: Cholbam
Medically reviewed on Sep 5, 2018
Uses of Cholic Acid:
- It is used to treat certain bile acid problems caused by single enzyme defects (SEDs).
- It is used to treat peroxisomal disorders like Zellweger spectrum disorders.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Cholic Acid?
- If you have an allergy to cholic acid or any part of cholic acid.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are taking cyclosporine.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with cholic acid.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take cholic acid with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Cholic Acid?
For all patients taking cholic acid:
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take cholic acid. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using cholic acid while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- If giving to your child, the dose of cholic acid may need to be changed as your child's weight changes. Have your child's weight checked often. Talk with the doctor before changing your child's dose.
How is this medicine (Cholic Acid) best taken?
Use cholic acid as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take cholic acid with food.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew or crush.
- If you cannot swallow the capsule whole, you may open the capsule and mix the contents with certain foods. For younger children, the contents may be mixed with infant formula or breast milk. For older children and adults, the contents may be mixed with soft food like mashed potatoes or apple sauce. Stir for 30 seconds and swallow right away. Do not store for future use.
- If you also take cholestyramine, colesevelam, colestipol, or an antacid that has aluminum, do not take it within 4 to 6 hours before or 1 hour after cholic acid.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of new or worse liver problems like dark urine, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, any bruising or bleeding, feeling very tired, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Cholic Acid?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Cholic Acid?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about cholic acid, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about cholic acid
- Cholic acid Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: digestive enzymes
Other brands: Cholbam