Generic name: Chlorpheniramine Liquid (klor fen IR a meen)
Drug class: Antihistamines
Uses of Chlorpheniramine Liquid:
- It is used to ease allergy signs.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Chlorpheniramine Liquid?
- If you have an allergy to chlorpheniramine or any other part of chlorpheniramine liquid.
- If you are allergic to chlorpheniramine liquid; any part of chlorpheniramine liquid; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take chlorpheniramine liquid with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Chlorpheniramine Liquid?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take chlorpheniramine liquid. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- Do not use chlorpheniramine liquid for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how chlorpheniramine liquid affects you.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking chlorpheniramine liquid.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Different brands of chlorpheniramine liquid may be for use in different ages of children. Talk with the doctor before giving chlorpheniramine liquid to a child.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not use to make a child sleepy. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using chlorpheniramine liquid while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Chlorpheniramine Liquid) best taken?
Use chlorpheniramine liquid as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with chlorpheniramine liquid. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure chlorpheniramine liquid.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take chlorpheniramine liquid on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times chlorpheniramine liquid is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Chlorpheniramine Liquid?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Chlorpheniramine Liquid?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about chlorpheniramine liquid, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Frequently asked questions
More about chlorpheniramine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- 39 Reviews
- Drug class: antihistamines
- Drug Information
- Chlorpheniramine Extended-Release Tablets
- Chlorpheniramine Syrup
- Chlorpheniramine Tablets
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.