Chloroxylenol/ hydrocortisone/ pramoxine lotion
Generic Name: chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine (klor-oh-ZYE-le-nole/HIGH-droe-CORE-tih-sone/pram-OX-een)
Brand Name: Cortane-B
Chloroxylenol/ hydrocortisone/ pramoxine lotion is used for:
Treating irritation and itching associated with minor skin infections. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion is an antibacterial, steroid, and anesthetic combination. It works by killing bacteria, reducing inflammation, and temporarily relieving itching and pain.
Do NOT use chloroxylenol/ hydrocortisone/ pramoxine lotion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion
- you have chickenpox or vaccinia viral infection
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using chloroxylenol/ hydrocortisone/ pramoxine lotion:
Some medical conditions may interact with chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion. Because little, if any, of chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use chloroxylenol/ hydrocortisone/ pramoxine lotion:
Use chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- For external use only. Do not get chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion in the eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion in the eyes, flush thoroughly with cool water.
- Thoroughly clean and dry the affected areas before using chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion. Apply a small amount of medicine over the affected areas and rub in well.
- Wash your hands immediately after using chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion unless your hands are part of the affected area.
- If you miss a dose of chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion for other conditions than the one for which it was prescribed.
- Chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Caution is advised when using chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of chloroxylenol/ hydrocortisone/ pramoxine lotion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; burning, cracking, irritation, or peeling not present before you began using chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion; excessive hair growth; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; muscle weakness; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Store chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in the original container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine lotion.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.