Generic Name: Chlorhexidine Gluconate Oral Solution (klor HEKS i deen GLOO koe nate)
Brand Name: Paroex, Peridex, Periogard
Uses of Chlorhexidine Gluconate Oral Solution:
- It is used to treat or prevent mouth infections.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Chlorhexidine Gluconate Oral Solution?
- If you have an allergy to chlorhexidine gluconate or any other part of chlorhexidine gluconate oral solution.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Chlorhexidine Gluconate Oral Solution?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take chlorhexidine gluconate oral solution. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- Take good care of your teeth. See a dentist often.
How is this medicine (Chlorhexidine Gluconate Oral Solution) best taken?
Use chlorhexidine gluconate oral solution as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Brush and floss your teeth.
- Rinse with 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of this medicine for 30 seconds.
- Do not swallow chlorhexidine gluconate oral solution.
- Rinse 2 times a day, in the morning and in the evening.
- Wait 30 minutes before eating, drinking, using mouthwash, or brushing teeth.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses or extra doses.
- Many times this medicine is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad gum pain or swelling.
- Numbness or tingling in the mouth.
What are some other side effects of Chlorhexidine Gluconate Oral Solution?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Mouth irritation.
- Bad taste in your mouth.
- Staining of the mouth, teeth, or fillings.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Chlorhexidine Gluconate Oral Solution?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about chlorhexidine gluconate oral solution, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about chlorhexidine gluconate oral solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using chlorhexidine gluconate oral solution.
Review Date: November 1, 2017
More about chlorhexidine topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 22 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antiseptic and germicides
- Chlorhexidine gluconate oral rinse
- Chlorhexidine topical
- Chlorhexidine Gluconate Topical
- Chlorhexidine (Advanced Reading)
- Chlorhexidine Periodontal (Advanced Reading)
- Chlorhexidine Topical application (Advanced Reading)