Chlophedianol/ chlorcyclizine liquid
Generic Name: chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine (KLOE-fe-DYE-a-nol/klor-SYE-klih-zeen)
Brand Name: Biclora
Chlophedianol/ chlorcyclizine liquid is used for:
Relieving cough and other symptoms, such as runny nose, sneezing, itchy nose or throat, and itchy or watery eyes, due to colds, hay fever, or allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid is an antihistamine and cough suppressant combination. The antihistamine works by blocking histamine, which reduces allergy symptoms, such as watery eyes and sneezing. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex.
Do NOT use chlophedianol/ chlorcyclizine liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using chlophedianol/ chlorcyclizine liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, Addison disease), heart problems (eg, fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat), high blood pressure, heart blood vessel problems, a stroke, glaucoma or increased pressure in the eyes, seizures, or have an overactive thyroid
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other lung or breathing problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, sleep apnea), chronic cough, or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you have a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or bowels; ulcers; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; or trouble urinating
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Furazolidone, linezolid, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), or sodium oxybate (GHB) because they may increase the risk of chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use chlophedianol/ chlorcyclizine liquid:
Use chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid.
Important safety information:
- Chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Check with your doctor before you use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are taking chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid.
- Chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid has an antihistamine and a cough suppressant in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has an antihistamine and a cough suppressant in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT exceed the recommended dose or take chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If new symptoms occur or if cough persists for more than 1 week; goes away and comes back; or is accompanied by a fever, rash, or persistent headache, check with your doctor.
- Do not use chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid for cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, excitability, low blood pressure, and trouble urinating
- Caution is advised when using chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- Chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of taking chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you take chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of chlophedianol/ chlorcyclizine liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, light-headedness, or headache; tremor; trouble sleeping; vision changes (eg, blurred vision).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, light-headedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid:
Store chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about chlophedianol/chlorcyclizine
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations
Other brands: Biclora