Chlo Hist solution
Generic Name: chlophedianol and dexbrompheniramine (KLOE-fe-DYE-a-nol & DEX-brome-fen-IR-a-meen)
Brand Name: Chlo Hist
Chlo Hist solution is used for:
Relieving cough and other symptoms, such as runny nose, sneezing, itchy nose or throat, and itchy or watery eyes, due to colds, hay fever, or allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Chlo Hist solution is an antihistamine and cough suppressant combination. The antihistamine works by blocking histamine, which reduces allergy symptoms, such as watery eyes and sneezing. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex.
Do NOT use Chlo Hist solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Chlo Hist solution
- you are taking or have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Chlo Hist solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Chlo Hist solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have glaucoma or increased pressure in the eyes, an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems, or trouble urinating
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or other lung or breathing problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, sleep apnea), chronic cough, or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Chlo Hist solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- MAOIs (eg, phenelzine) because they may increase the risk of Chlo Hist solution's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Chlo Hist solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Chlo Hist solution:
Use Chlo Hist solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Chlo Hist solution by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Chlo Hist solution and you are taking it on a regular basis, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once. Many times Chlo Hist solution is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Chlo Hist solution.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Chlo Hist solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Chlo Hist solution may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Chlo Hist solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Check with your doctor before you use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Chlo Hist solution; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are taking Chlo Hist solution.
- Chlo Hist solution has an antihistamine and a cough suppressant in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has an antihistamine and a cough suppressant in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may increase your risk of severe side effects.
- Do not take Chlo Hist solution for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- If new symptoms occur or if cough or nasal congestion persist for more than 1 week; goes away and comes back; or is accompanied by a fever, rash, or persistent headache, check with your doctor.
- Do not use Chlo Hist solution for cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Caution is advised when using Chlo Hist solution in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- Chlo Hist solution should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of taking Chlo Hist solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you take Chlo Hist solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Chlo Hist solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent drowsiness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Chlo Hist solution:
Store Chlo Hist solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Chlo Hist solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Chlo Hist solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Chlo Hist solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Chlo Hist solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Chlo Hist solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Chlo Hist solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Chlo Hist solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.