Generic Name: charcoal activated (CHAR-kole)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Charcoal activated is used for:
Treating gas, diarrhea, or stomach upset. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Charcoal activated is an adsorbent. How charcoal activated works is unknown.
Do NOT use charcoal activated if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in charcoal activated
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using charcoal activated:
Some medical conditions may interact with charcoal activated. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with charcoal activated. However, no specific interactions with charcoal activated are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if charcoal activated may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use charcoal activated:
Use charcoal activated as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take charcoal activated after meals or at the first sign of discomfort.
- Charcoal activated may interfere with the absorption of many other medicines. Talk to your doctor about taking charcoal activated 2 hours before or after taking any other medicine.
- If you miss a dose of charcoal activated, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use charcoal activated.
Important safety information:
- If diarrhea continues for more than 2 days or you develop a fever, contact your doctor.
- Charcoal activated may cause your stools to turn black.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking charcoal activated, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using charcoal activated during pregnancy. It is unknown if charcoal activated is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using charcoal activated, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of charcoal activated:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; temporary darkening of the stool; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include obstruction of the bowel or intestines.Proper storage of charcoal activated:
Store charcoal activated at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep charcoal activated out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about charcoal activated, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Charcoal activated is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take charcoal activated or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about charcoal activated. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to charcoal activated. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using charcoal activated.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about charcoal
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Charcoal, Activated (AHFS Monograph)
- Charcoal, Activated (Wolters Kluwer)
- Charcoal (Advanced Reading)