Generic Name: cefuroxime (SEF-ue-ROX-eem)
Brand Name: Ceftin
Ceftin is used for:
Treating bacterial infections (sinus, skin, lung, urinary tract, ear, and throat). It may also be used to treat Lyme disease and gonorrhea.
Ceftin is a cephalosporin antibiotic. It works by interfering with the formation of the bacteria's cell wall so that the wall ruptures, resulting in the death of the bacteria.
Do NOT use Ceftin if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ceftin or to any other cephalosporin antibiotic (eg, cephalexin, cefprozil)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ceftin:
Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diarrhea, a stomach or intestinal infection, or a blood clotting problem
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to a penicillin antibiotic (eg, amoxicillin) or other beta-lactam antibiotic (eg, imipenem)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ceftin. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aminoglycosides (eg, gentamicin), cyclosporine, diuretics (eg, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide), or other medicines affecting the kidney because side effects, such as kidney toxicity, may occur
- Hormonal contraceptives (eg, birth control pills) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Ceftin
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ceftin may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ceftin:
Use Ceftin as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Ceftin by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow Ceftin whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Ceftin works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Ceftin for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Ceftin, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose, and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ceftin.
Important safety information:
- Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur during treatment or within several months after treatment with Ceftin. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- The tablet and oral suspension forms of Ceftin are not equivalent. Do not substitute one for the other.
- Ceftin only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Be sure to use Ceftin for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Ceftin may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Diabetes patients - Ceftin may cause the results of some tests for urine glucose to be wrong. Ask your doctor before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Ceftin. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, and complete blood cell count, may be performed while you use Ceftin. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Ceftin should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 3 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ceftin while you are pregnant. Ceftin is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Ceftin.
Possible side effects of Ceftin:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea/loose stools; nausea; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools; change in the amount of urine; dark urine; easy bruising or bleeding; fatigue; fever; seizures; severe diarrhea; stomach cramps/pain; vaginal irritation or discharge; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include seizures.Proper storage of Ceftin:
Store Ceftin at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ceftin out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ceftin, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ceftin is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Ceftin or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Ceftin. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Ceftin. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Ceftin.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Ceftin (cefuroxime)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 30 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
Other brands: Zinacef