Generic Name: ascorbic acid (ASS-kor-bik ASS-id)
Brand Name: Cecon and Protexin
Cecon solution is used for:
Treating and preventing low levels of vitamin C. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Cecon solution is a vitamin. It works by supplementing vitamin C, which is used in many functions in the body.
Do NOT use Cecon solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cecon solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cecon solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Cecon solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency, a high iron level in the blood, anemia (eg, sickle cell, sideroblastic, thalassemia), or kidney stones
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cecon solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because side effects may be increased by Cecon solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Cecon solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cecon solution:
Use Cecon solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Cecon solution may be taken with or without food.
- You may drop the dose of Cecon solution directly into your mouth or mix it with cereal, milk, or water.
- Take Cecon solution with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Cecon solution.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Cecon solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cecon solution.
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) while taking Cecon solution unless directed to by your doctor.
- Cecon solution may cause incorrect results with some in-home cholesterol test kits. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking Cecon solution and need to check your cholesterol at home.
- Diabetes patients - Cecon solution may cause incorrect test results with some urine glucose tests. Check with your doctor before you adjust the dose of your diabetes medicine or change your diet.
- Cecon solution may cause incorrect test results with kits used to check for blood in the stool. Check with your doctor if you are taking Cecon solution when using the test kit.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Cecon solution, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Cecon solution during pregnancy. Cecon solution is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Cecon solution, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Cecon solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; nausea; upset stomach; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); kidney stones (eg, abdominal pain/back pain, painful urination).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include gout.Proper storage of Cecon solution:
Store Cecon solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Cecon solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cecon solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cecon solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Cecon solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Cecon solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Cecon solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Cecon solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.