Carnitor SF solution
Generic Name: levocarnitine (LEE-voe-KAR-ni-teen)
Brand Name: Examples include Carnitor and Carnitor SF
Carnitor SF solution is used for:
Treating low levels of levocarnitine in the body and treating patients with metabolism problems that may cause low levels of levocarnitine. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Carnitor SF solution is an amino acid derivative. It works by replacing levocarnitine in the body when your body does not produce enough.
Do NOT use Carnitor SF solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Carnitor SF solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Carnitor SF solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Carnitor SF solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney problems or seizures
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Carnitor SF solution. However, no specific interactions with Carnitor SF solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Carnitor SF solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Carnitor SF solution:
Use Carnitor SF solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Carnitor SF solution by mouth during or after meals unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- Carnitor SF solution may be poured into drinks or liquid foods to help prevent taste changes. Finish all of the liquid.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure how to measure your dose.
- Take each dose of Carnitor SF solution slowly and space your doses evenly throughout the day.
- If you miss a dose of Carnitor SF solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Carnitor SF solution.
Important safety information:
- Do not use products containing D,L-carnitine (vitamin BT), which are available without a prescription and in health food stores, without first checking with your doctor.
- Lab tests, including blood chemistry and blood carnitine levels, may be performed while you use Carnitor SF solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Carnitor SF solution while you are pregnant. It is not known whether Carnitor SF solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Carnitor SF solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Carnitor SF solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bad taste in mouth; diarrhea; mild muscle weakness; nausea; stomach cramps; unpleasant body odor; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); seizures.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include severe diarrhea.Proper storage of Carnitor SF solution:
Store Carnitor SF solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Carnitor SF solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Carnitor SF solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Carnitor SF solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Carnitor SF solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Carnitor SF solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Carnitor SF solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Carnitor SF solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Carnitor SF (levocarnitine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: nutraceutical products