Carbocysteine chewable tablets
Generic Name: carbocysteine (KAR-boe-SIS-te-een)
Brand Name: Availnex
Carbocysteine chewable tablets are used for:
Dietary management of patients with pulmonary oxidative stress, especially patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Carbocysteine chewable tablets are a medical food. It helps to increase antioxidants in the body.
Do NOT use carbocysteine chewable tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in carbocysteine chewable tablets, including soy
- you are breast-feeding
- the patient is an infant
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using carbocysteine chewable tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with carbocysteine chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have or have had an ulcer in the stomach or intestines
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with carbocysteine chewable tablets. However, no specific interactions with carbocysteine chewable tablets are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if carbocysteine chewable tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use carbocysteine chewable tablets:
Use carbocysteine chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take carbocysteine chewable tablets by mouth before eating or with a meal.
- Chew carbocysteine chewable tablets well or allow it to dissolve completely in your mouth before swallowing.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking carbocysteine chewable tablets is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Continue to take carbocysteine chewable tablets even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of carbocysteine chewable tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use carbocysteine chewable tablets.
Important safety information:
- Carbocysteine chewable tablets may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use carbocysteine chewable tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Diabetes patients - Carbocysteine chewable tablets may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Carbocysteine chewable tablets should not be used in INFANTS; safety and effectiveness in infants have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using carbocysteine chewable tablets while you are pregnant. Do not breast-feed while taking carbocysteine chewable tablets.
Possible side effects of carbocysteine chewable tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood in the stools; irregular heartbeat; symptoms of low blood sugar (eg, dizziness, drowsiness, fainting, weakness, increased hunger, increased sweating, headache, chills, tremors); vomit that looks like blood or coffee grounds.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of carbocysteine chewable tablets:
Store carbocysteine chewable tablets at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep carbocysteine chewable tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about carbocysteine chewable tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Carbocysteine chewable tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take carbocysteine chewable tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about carbocysteine chewable tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to carbocysteine chewable tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using carbocysteine chewable tablets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.