Carbinoxamine maleate liquid
Generic Name: carbinoxamine maleate (kar-bi-NOX-a-meen)
Brand Name: Examples include Histex Pd and Pediatex
Carbinoxamine maleate liquid is used for:
Treating allergy symptoms such as runny nose, watery/itchy eyes, rash, or hives. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Carbinoxamine maleate liquid is an antihistamine. It works by blocking the action of histamine, which reduces the symptoms of an allergic reaction.
Do NOT use carbinoxamine maleate liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in carbinoxamine maleate liquid
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using carbinoxamine maleate liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with carbinoxamine maleate liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have asthma, glaucoma, difficulty urinating, a stomach or bladder blockage, prostate problems, increased pressure in the eye, an underactive thyroid, heart disease, or high blood pressure
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with carbinoxamine maleate liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine ), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because side effects of carbinoxamine maleate liquid may be increased
- Sodium oxybate (GHB) because side effects, such as an increase in sleep duration and drowsiness leading to unconsciousness or coma, may occur
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if carbinoxamine maleate liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use carbinoxamine maleate liquid:
Use carbinoxamine maleate liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Carbinoxamine maleate liquid may be taken with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of carbinoxamine maleate liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use carbinoxamine maleate liquid.
Important safety information:
- Carbinoxamine maleate liquid may cause drowsiness or dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to carbinoxamine maleate liquid. Using carbinoxamine maleate liquid alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Use carbinoxamine maleate liquid with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using carbinoxamine maleate liquid in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if carbinoxamine maleate liquid can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking carbinoxamine maleate liquid, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using carbinoxamine maleate liquid during pregnancy. It is unknown if carbinoxamine maleate liquid is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using carbinoxamine maleate liquid, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of carbinoxamine maleate liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Appetite loss; blurred vision; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; headache; heartburn; nausea; nervousness; thickening of mucus in the nose or throat; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include double vision; excitement; frequent urination; hallucinations; loss of consciousness; muscle twitching; seizures; tremor; weakness. In children, symptoms may include abnormal eye movement; abnormal tongue movement; agitation; bizarre behavior; confusion; difficulty urinating; excitation; flushed face; irritability; loss of consciousness; loss of coordination; restlessness; seizures; slurred speech; tiredness; trembling; twitching.Proper storage of carbinoxamine maleate liquid:
Store carbinoxamine maleate liquid between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep carbinoxamine maleate liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about carbinoxamine maleate liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Carbinoxamine maleate liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take carbinoxamine maleate liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about carbinoxamine maleate liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to carbinoxamine maleate liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using carbinoxamine maleate liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about carbinoxamine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 3 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antihistamines
- Carbinoxamine maleate
- Carbinoxamine maleate extended-release capsules
- Carbinoxamine maleate extended-release suspension
- Carbinoxamine maleate/tannate
- Carbinoxamine (Advanced Reading)