The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Carbetapentane/ pseudoephedrine liquid
Generic Name: carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine (car-beyta-PEN-tane/SOO-doe-e-FED-rin)
Brand Name: Corzall
Carbetapentane/ pseudoephedrine liquid is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion and cough due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid is a decongestant and cough suppressant combination. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex.
Do NOT use carbetapentane/ pseudoephedrine liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or other severe heart problems
- you take droxidopa or have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using carbetapentane/ pseudoephedrine liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor), heart problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, blood vessel problems, a stroke, glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye, an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems, seizures, trouble sleeping, or an overactive thyroid
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you take medicine for high blood pressure
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), furazolidone, linezolid, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline), or urinary alkalinizers (eg, sodium bicarbonate) because they may increase the risk of carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid's side effects
- Bromocriptine because the risk of its side effects may be increased by carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use carbetapentane/ pseudoephedrine liquid:
Use carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid.
Important safety information:
- Carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid without checking with your doctor.
- Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a decongestant or a cough suppressant in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- If your cough lasts for more than one week; goes away and then comes back; or occurs with fever, rash, or persistent headache, check with your doctor.
- Do not use carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of carbetapentane/ pseudoephedrine liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; mental or mood changes (eg, anxiety, nervousness); persistent trouble sleeping; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor; trouble breathing; unusually pale skin; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; dry mouth; fainting; flushing; hallucinations; irritability; restlessness; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, tremors, or headache; severe drowsiness; severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach cramps; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat.Proper storage of carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid:
Store carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using carbetapentane/pseudoephedrine liquid.