Carbetapentane/ guaifenesin sustained-release tablets
Generic Name: carbetapentane/guaifenesin (car-bay-ta-PEN-tane/gwye-FEN-e-sin)
Brand Name: Examples include Allfen CX and Xpect-AT
Carbetapentane/ guaifenesin sustained-release tablets are used for:
Relieving unproductive cough and reducing mucus in the chest due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets are a cough suppressant and expectorant combination. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex. The expectorant works by thinning mucus (phlegm) in the lungs, making it less sticky and easier to cough up. This makes coughs more productive.
Do NOT use carbetapentane/ guaifenesin sustained-release tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets
- the patient is a newborn or infant
- you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the past 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using carbetapentane/ guaifenesin sustained-release tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have chronic cough due to smoking, asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema, or if your cough produces large amounts of mucus
- if you have a history of heart or blood vessel problems, high blood pressure, prostate problems, an overactive thyroid, diabetes, or glaucoma
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- MAOIs (eg, phenelzine) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use carbetapentane/ guaifenesin sustained-release tablets:
Use carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Swallow carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing. Some brands of carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets may be broken in half before taking. If you have difficulty swallowing the whole tablet, ask your pharmacist if your brand of medicine may be broken in half.
- If you miss a dose of carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets.
Important safety information:
- Carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets may cause drowsiness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not use carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets for a cough with a lot of mucous. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- If cough persists for more than 1 week or is accompanied by a fever, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you take carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of carbetapentane/ guaifenesin sustained-release tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; upset stomach.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include restlessness; seizures; severe agitation.Proper storage of carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets:
Store carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about carbetapentane/guaifenesin
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations
- Carbetapentane/guaifenesin liquid
- Carbetapentane/guaifenesin suspension
- Carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules
- Carbetapentane and guaifenesin